1: The Beginning

Karylle finished the last drop of her third coffee that night. She closed the medical journals and articles na binabasa nya at tinago na yung notepad nyang punong puno ng mga notes. She hoverer the mouse over sa facetime app ng macbook nya and called a very special person. After four rings ay sumagot na yung taong tinatawagan nya.

"HEY BAILEY!!!" bati nya na punong puno ng energy.

"Good morning, mommy! Wait, is it morning there?"

Karylle looked over sa clock at nag shrug, 12.25 am, yes, technically morning na rin.

"Yes it is... Good morning din, bae. How are you?" she smiled, trying to hide her tiredness from her face.

"I miss you, mom."

"I miss you too bae, I miss you so much!"

"Why can't I be there with you? Please mom?" nag-iba naman ang mood ng conversation dahil sa topic na binuksan na naman ng anak nya.

"Kung pwede lang anak, matagal na kitang inuwi din dito sa Pilipinas, pero mahirap ang buhay dito eh bae, mas maganda ang buhay mo dyan sa America."

"I know, you say that everytime, but I can get over that - I just want to be with you."

"Anak, alam mo naman kung bakit ko ginagawa to diba?"

"This is our dream." the boy said with a sad smile.

"That's right.. Mommy is doing this for us, when I finally become a surgeon, I can give you the life that we've always wanted, the best life."

"Okay... If you say so, mom."

"Bae naman, smile ka na, alam mo namang ayaw nakikita ni mommy na sad ka."

The boy forced a smile at nilapit ang mukha nya lalo sa iPad na gamit nito to facetime his mother.

"Did you eat your breakfast already? It's nearly time for you to go to school nga pala."

"Yes po, momsy made some pancakes and waffles for breakfast."

"Who's driving you to school?"

"Tita Coco, because she's going to a meeting this morning, it's on the way to school so she's dropping me off instead of Tita Zia."

"Oh, how nice naman... How are things there?"

"Nothing much has changed mom. I mean it's only been a year since you left, so pretty much everything is the same - except for everyone missing you here."

"Aww, that's nice... Nakaka miss na din kayo sobra, pero alam mo namang soon I'll be starting my internship here."

"Yeah, which means you're gonna be busier than usual."

"That's true, but that doesn't mean na I can't have time for my special man."

"Are you sure I'm still your special man?" the boy said with a playful smile on his face, na parang tine-tease ang mommy nya.

"Bailey!!!"

"Mom, I'm 13 years old, if you want to have a boyfriend, I'm cool with that."

"My only focus is to get through this internship, get hired and bring you here so we can be together."

"I'd like that too, mommy, but I'd also you to find someone and be happy."

"Bae, I am happy... I have you."

"I love you mom!"

"I love you too, anak."

"Mom, go to bed, I know it's already early morning there, get some rest."