Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

There was another thud coming from Melanie's room. I pushed open the door only to find her battered on the floor and the culprit smugly standing over her.

"Been awhile, Alex." Demetria said.

"What are you doing here?" I frowned. "Didn't I warn you to leave us alone?"

"Did you?" She questioned. She used her foot to turn Melanie onto her back, causing more pain for her. "It must've gone right over my head."

"What do you want?" I growled.

"It's not what I want, Alex." She says. "It's what they want and you and I both know what that is."

Hailey.

"What have you done to her?" I panic.

"My job." She firmly replies. "I'm not trying to get myself killed unlike you and Nathan. I do what I gotta do and I'm doing that."

"You don't have to," I say. "You could walk away right now without any consequences."

  She frowns. "It's a little too late for that don't you think?"

"So why?" I ask. "Why her? Why you?"

She laughed. "You really did always have a bad habit of making the wrong choices."

"What?"

She let up on Melanie and allowed me to check on her. She was healing which was good but Demetria had beat her up pretty badly.

"What do you gain from all of this?" I growled. "You know they'll just kill you."

She sighed. "You care too much, Alex." She says. "Like I said, it's not about what I want."

"Don't you want to live?"

"I think my time is running out, don't you think?"

I frowned. I always did have suspicions about Demetria, even before I met Hailey. However, I never thought she'd end up like this. I started to wonder what she'd be like had things gone differently back then. Maybe she wouldn't have become this kind of person had we cared a little more. I could tell she didn't want this, no one would want to hurt their friends. However, the people who were truly behind all of this, they had their ways in getting what they wanted just like she did. They chose their cards well and now they were playing them just as well.

"Like I told Hailey," She says. "You got dealt a bad hand but you still have to play it."

"No one," Melanie wheezed. "No one knows what that means."

Demetria looked at me.

"Alex does," She smirks. "Don't you?"

Coming up the stairs, Ryan was calling for me allowing Demetria to make her way to leave.

"You know where to find me when you're ready." She says before exiting through the window.

I didn't bother going after her.

"Alex," Ryan said. "Nathan called, they have Hailey."

"That bitch," Melanie groaned.

"Ryan take her to my mom," I say, pulling her to her feet. Ryan pulled her arm over his shoulder. "I'll go meet up with Nathan. Meet me back at the pack hours to discuss further actions."

"I'm going with you." Melanie resisted.

"No you're not."

"You really think I'm gonna let her catch me off guard like that?" She frowned. "The answer is no."