chapter twø- it just did

One summer day, just like all of the others I was bored. I was trying to conjure up some way of getting out of babysitting my sister.

"Hannah, just this once." my Dad said begging me like I was the parent and he was the child.

"Dad, you said that last time." I rebutted sinking my teeth into burnt toast, trying to change the subject I exclaimed,"You burnt it again!"

"Okay, if I promise to not burn your toast will you do it?" he asked raising his bushy black eyebrow. My father was quite a handsome man to be honest. His black hair was now balding and his freckles fading but his broad shoulders and staring gaze looked like they could hold the world.

"You never want to baby sit me anymore now that you've started to apply for colleges." my 13-year old-french-braid-loving sister said finally lifting her gaze from her new iPhone to me, she shifted her gaze to Dad. "Besides, Father, I'm 13 now. I can practically hang out at the mall alone."

"Twenty bucks-that's it." Dad offered after rolling his eyes at my sister.

"Deal." I shook his hand, passed him my practically empty plate and headed to my room.

"Hannah?" my dad called out before I poked my head around the corner. "How's Tyler?"

I shook my head at him and I could tell he felt bad.

"Wanna take your sister to the fair than?" he asked raising his thick brown eyebrow. I shrugged my shoulders but then nodded when I saw my sisters disgust. The Fair has been a thing in our little town for years. There's usually carnival rides, cotton candy, corn dogs, games, and anything a summer fair usually has.

"Sure thing Pops!" I made my exit towards my room as Mamrie started to argue with my Dad about how kiddy it was and how she didn't want to go.

Hannah 1- Mamrie 0

-------

"Can you drive us?" Mamrie asked, "So, I won't have to get in Hannah's musty Civic."

Dad shook his head and grabbed his keys from the glass bowl by our door, making a soft jingling sound.

"Okay, but you guys owe me cotton candy." he joked.

"Mamrie, was is it with you and my baby?" I asked patting the hood of my dusty blue Civic, I hate to admit but a cloud of dust billowed from the hood into a mushroom cloud. She sighed her French braid flipped as she slammed the door to the back seat. We exited our neighborhood and started traveling towards the other side of the city, where the fair is held.

"Why are the fair grounds so far?" Mamrie asked, I could hear her mainstream music all the way up here and it sickened me.

"Just 10 minutes babe, chill." I said through gritted teeth, she tore her earbuds out and sighed. If you're wondering why I just called my sister babe- yeah, I know it's weird- it's something our Mom used to call everybody I just kind of picked up on it.

All of a sudden I hear the intro of Come As You Are by Nirvana.

"Turn it up!" Dad said, and I did, we were totally jamming. Even Mamrie was singing along.

I turned my head towards the backseat and started belting the chorus to my sister. She was smiling and suddenly her eyes grew huge with fright.

"Dad!" she cried, I quickly turned my head and saw the side of a semi right in front of us. Dad was slamming on the breaks, his minivan screaming with fright.

"Girls!" he screamed as his arm held me to the back of the seat. We slammed right into the side.

Everything went by so fast but it now seemed to be moving slow. Glass was flying through the air, the sound of the minivan tearing through metal scratched at my ears, Dad's head was lying on the wheel, Mamrie's arms limply fell onto my lap, my head hit the passenger seat dashboard. I saw my blood drip onto my white Converse as I remembered everything I've ever known- Mom, Dad, Mamrie, Tyler, the rest of my family, my best friends Gracie and Rileigh, even random people I didn't know very well. It all went black and I worried those things were now all gone.

This shouldn't have happened but as Tyler would say- it just did.