Stare

"You're talking about Sonny, right?"

I stood up and approached the window.

"I mean everything. Sonny is like the cherry on top of the cake", I told Jake, as I looked at the street. "Starting with joining this band and moving here. Everything put together made this possible."

"I know what you mean. Who would have guessed we'd get this far?" Jake said, approaching the window. "Talking about far..."

"What?" I said, turning around.

"Epitaph Tour 2015. It starts next week. But apparently we'll have to leave earlier because we're supposed to work on our debut album. What happened to the song you made with Sonny?"

"Street Signs? I think he played it for the first time a few days ago, it's not officially released yet, he wants to wait until his new album is ready", I replied. "By the way, where are we going to record our album?"

"Well, we got some money. We just need to find a studio we can afford, I guess", Jake said, sketching a smile and handing me a flyer. "Oh, this is some information about the tour. It starts in Atlanta, so maybe we can look for a studio there."

***

"Atlanta?"
"Yeah. I've never been there before but you have, so I was wondering if you can recommend us a good studio."

Sonny took a blue post-it and a pen, and started writing.

"It's kinda funny, when we were recording our earlier stuff we were given some cash and we used it building our own studio, I think Travis still lives in Atlanta so I'm gonna call him to make sure. Wait a second. In fact I think he's the only one who still lives there..."

He took his phone and started dialing.

"Hey Trav... Yes, I'm Sonny... Yes, I'm okay, don't worry... Er... I was wondering if you're in Atlanta right now... Cool. And what about the studio?... No, I'm not gonna use it but have you heard about Omision Republic?... Yes, they're gonna be in Atlanta for a few days and they wanna use it. Is it possible?... Sure, thank you. You're awesome... Haha I can see you haven't changed at all. See ya."

He hung up.

"Yeah, he's still there. And yes, you can use the studio. Here's the address."

I took the post-it and put it into my pocket.

"Cool. I'm gonna tell the guys."

I got up, very excited.

"Kat..." Sonny said. "Your pancakes."

I looked at my half-finished pancakes on the table.

"You're right", I said, and I quickly ate them. "Okay, let's tell Jake... Oh, sorry. Eat your pancakes first."

"Whatever", Sonny said, taking his half-finished pancakes and eating them as we got out of McDonald's. "Nom nom... Did I tell you I love pancakes? I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid. Like, 4 pm? Pancakes. Dinner? Pancakes. Bored as fuck waiting for my flight? Pancakes. I love 'em."