Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Channing

"Imma be waiting right here when you get out of class, I promise." 

"Don't play with me Channing." 

"Have I ever left you hanging before?"

"No." 

"Ok then. Don't start second guessing me now. Now go inside. You're going to be late."  

Sunni looked at me with an innocent smile before turning to walk inside. 

"Wait! I can't get a goodbye kiss?" I asked her with a smirk. 

She ran back to me and stood on her tip-toes to kiss my lips. "It's a 'see you later' kiss. Goodbye means forever."

I just stared at her as she walked into the  lecture hall. 

I turned on my heels and headed toward the art studio, remembering where I was supposed to be at the moment. 

"Channing you're late." The head coach of the universities' cheer squad yelled. 

"So what else is new." I shot back jokingly. 

"Get to work! Trish you're up first." She ordered. 

I'm a photography major. I'm the best photographer around if I do say so myself. I do freelance work at the moment so the athletics department hired me to take headshots of the cheer team. 

Luckily, I came in earlier this morning to set the studio up. I'd rather forsake sleep than miss the chance to walk my girl to class. I walk her to class everyday rain or shine, sick or good health because I know what she goes through for me. Our relationship is a challenge. Even though she loves me to death, I know she'd rather be single than deal with the slander people throw our way. Sunni is a lowkey girl where I'm the bold type. I talk shit to people that try to knock our relationship while Sunni chooses to ignore and walk away.

I don't see what the problem is myself. Sunni has a vagina and breasts just like every other woman in the world. Only idiots spend time dwelling on the differences in our skin tones. 

I made it through all the cheerleaders in less than an hour. I had one more left and that was the head cheerleader, Melissa. 

"Hey, babe." She greeted. I rolled my eyes in response. 

"Come on. Don't act like you're not used to me calling you that. You used to answer to it all the time." She said seductively. 

I snapped a picture of her. 

"We're done here." I announced. 

"So you're gonna act like you don't know me anymore because you're dating that black girl. As if. Who names there child Sunni when she's as dark as night?" She laughed. 

Before I knew it, I had her pinned up against the door. 

"Keep my girlfriend's name out of your fucking mouth. You're a slut and a whore and I will never as long as I'm alive get back into a relationship with you. Now get the hell out of my studio." 

"You know I've always liked it rough." She grinned. Before exiting the room. 

Melissa gets under my skin. We dated from senior year of high school until our sophomore year of college. We broke up because once she became head cheerleader, she became the biggest slut. It blew up when some guys sent me videos of her in compromising situations. I didn't deserve to be cheated on so I left her. 

Sunni is a photography minor so I met her in one of my classes and we hit it off instantly. I was feeling Sunni on a whole different level. She came off as strong, confident and charismatic which made it clear to me that she would never stoop to Melissa's level. Life is not a popularity contest for Sunni. She doesn't care if people don't like her but she cares about what people think of her. Melissa is the complete opposite. Everybody has to like her and she doesn't care what people think. 

The fact that Sunni is black irritates her on so many different levels and I know why. She has nothing bad to say about Sunni so she goes with easiest and obvious thing; the fact that I'm white and Sunni's black. And also the fact that she knows how protective I am. I'd go to bat for any woman that I'm in a relationship with. I did it for Melissa and I'm doing it for Sunni. I love Sunni so much that even if we broke up, I would still protect her. 

After I packed my camera equipment up, I headed back over to the lecture hall where I was supposed to meet Sunni. 

"Hey love." She greeted me with a hug. "What's wrong?" She asked, noticing how lackluster my reactions were. 

"Let's talk about it when we get home." 

My apartment is a less than ten-minute walk from campus. Sunni stays with me during the week and goes home on the weekend. I wish she didn't have to leave me but hey.

"Now tell me what's wrong, love." She said, straddling my lap as I laid on the bed. 

"I had to shoot the cheer squad today." 

"Ohhhh." She nodded, completely understanding. 

"I wish she would just leave me alone." 

"She must've said something bad about me. Otherwise, you wouldn't be this mad." She reasoned. 

I looked away. She turned my head back so that I was looking at her once again. 

"Talk to me Channing. What did she say?" 

"I'm not telling you. It doesn't matter anyway." I told her. 

"Channing." 

"Sunni. Come on baby don't start that. Why would I repeat something that was meant to cause pain. She's a fucking idiot and I won't let her words mess up our relationship. I love you and I don't give a damn about what any senseless idiot has to say. Do you understand me?" 

"Yes." 

"We can't let the world tell us who to love. We can't and I wont."

******************************************************

Thoughts on Channing?

Predictions about Melissa?