Chapter 4

A light at the end of the tunnel. Wasn't that what people who were in the brink of death witnessed? But I didn't see any light, ominous darkness had blotted out everything. Maybe I was going to hell. How fitting. How strange to feel so detached about it all.

People were always waxing poetic verses of how blindingly exquisite the devil was, and as I drifted in and out of consciousness, Jasper's beautiful face filled my vision. Maybe he was the devil.

But his eyes were wild and tortured as they looked at me. "Don't you leave me, Len. Not you. Not you." His voice rang with desperation.

I wanted to assure him, to comfort him, but I was cold, so, so cold. Jasper's touch was warm and I wanted more of it, but numbness was starting to spread in my limbs. I tried to keep my eyes open but that seemed such a humongous task.

The darkness didn't seem so threatening now as it enveloped me. It was like a siren's song, beckoning me to lose myself in it. I heard Jasper's voice, but he seemed so far away now.

"I won't let you go, Len. Not this time."

But he was already too late as the shadows swallowed my consciousness.

*

The faint smell of smoke touched my nostrils and I wondered if I was being roasted in hell.

My eyes snapped open, panic filling my throat as my vision blurred. I jerked upright then fell back again, gritting my teeth until the burning pain on my side, the nausea and the dizziness passed.

I was afraid to open my eyes again, but the crackling of fire and the woodsy smell of it, the soft patter of rain against the roof and windows made me frantic to know where I was.

"Len?"

Jasper. I opened my mouth to speak but found my voice was gone. Panic returned.

"Shh. You're safe here. I won't let anything hurt you." His deep voice and the warmth of his hand as it smoothed my hair back from my face soothed me. "Thirsty?"

The mention of thirst made me aware of how parched my throat was. I wanted to nod but was afraid if I moved my head the dizziness would come back.

"Easy. Here you go. Small sips. Good girl."

The simple act of drinking exhausted me and I realized I must have been asleep for days. My body felt weak and heavy. This was the worst hangover of my life.

"Sleep, my princess."

It was daylight when I woke up. I lay there for a few more moments, staring up at the gigantic wood beams in the ceiling as I let thoughts whirl in my head. I smelled smoke again and realized it was the burning logs in the fireplace. Slowly, I sat up, only experiencing a bit of dizziness.

Reaching for the glass of water on the nightstand, I took small sips of it and observed my surroundings. It was a small square cabin made of stone and wood. I could see the small kitchen right across the bed. There was no living room.

I struggled and held onto the wall for support but managed to stand up. I knew I must eat but my appetite hadn't returned yet.

Grabbing a coat from the peg, I put it on before stepping out of the cabin, determined to look for Jasper.

Even with the birds chirping, the sound of rushing water from a river, the occasional whistling of the wind, it felt so quiet. So peaceful. The sharp air smelled clean, pure. The sky so clear and blue and enormous.

I heard someone cutting wood at the back of the cabin and I wanted to go there, but I sat on the steps instead, feeling weak and exhausted. I leaned my head against the handrail, closing my eyes.