Chapter 2

Jasper's eyes flutter open with a stinging sensation all over her body. She winced and squeezed her eyes shut as the blinding light shown in her face. "She's awake!" Jasper hears a soft feminine voice say, shock lacing her voice. She squinted in the bright light, letting her eyes adjust. Once they did, her eyes wandered around the room. She was in the same plain white room, but there were about two dozen men and women in white lap coats swarming around her. What's going on? She tried to say but what came out was not what she intended. A low guttural groan escaped from her lips. She felt fingers lock around her arms, pulling her to her feet. She stumbled and almost fell, but the man grasping her held her up. She looked up at him groggily. The same voice from earlier caught her attention. Over a loud speaker, the voice said, "test subject S-300 Jasoer Elaine, success." Jasper's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. She had never heard those words spoken about any other subject... What exactly had she succeeded..? The man grasping her had an expression that said, 'if you try to get away you'll regret it...' She shivered looking at him. There was no way she could pull away from him, he was too strong, besides, she felt as if she'd been drugged. Well, in a way, she had...

She was shoved into a room. It was dark, and damp, and cold. Green vines laced through the stones that make up the wall, as if they were snakes making their way through obstacles. The tight grip on her arms pushed and let go. She gasped as she fell to the ground in thin breathes. Thousands of questions swarmed through her mind as she looked back at the, now closed, concrete door. Trying to push herself up to stand, a single thought stuck to mind, I've seen that man before, the one that threw me in here, he seems familiar... Where have I seen him before..? She asked herself over and over as she slowly got to her feet.

Jasper looked around the room, as a strand of blonde hair fell in her face. Pushing it behind her ear, she saw something from the corner of her eye. A vent. She looked back at the door, walking- more like stumbling- toward it. She brushed her fingers where a handle should be, but there wasn't one. She bit her lip anxiously and pushed against it. Maybe it opened by pushing it. Nope. She was stuck. Sighing, she went to the back wall and sat on the small cot in the corner. She looked at the air vent and tilted her head. That's when the idea popped into her head. She rushed to the air vent.