Aloha?

Aden was there. I don’t know why I was so surprised; I knew he had a rich family so bumping into him in this neighborhood shouldn’t be so surprising Aden was known as the school’s king. A Greek King. He was a jock and pretty much my obsession since sophomore year when he first started playing football. And he was the quarterback who pretty much gave him power or at least more then he already had. To me, the fact that he had power made me even more attracted to him.

Today he was wearing blue jeans and a black t-shirt that seemed to rap around his muscles perfectly. He was tall or at least taller than most juniors. Standing there he looked more like he was twenty then actually seventeen. His dark brown hair was long, longer then I remember. He had it tied in the back of his head but the small wind that was blowing this morning made some of it float on the side of his shoulder. Was there anything he could do that didn’t make him seem devastatingly hotter? I stopped staring afraid he would think I was a freak or something.

Thankfully he didn’t notice. But when I past him to get closer to the stop I definitely saw him looking my way. I made sure he didn’t notice me looking at him though. After a few minutes of him staring at me, my mind started to imagine things. Things that only happen in those cheesy romantic movies.

“Who are you?”

Great! I thought, I pretty much knew every little detail about him and he had no idea who I was. Its not like I was loser at school either. I was pretty much sure everybody knew me or at least heard about me once. I had a reputation for being bodacious. Bodacious being another word for big mouth and rudely honest. Its not like I really wanted that reputation but I sometimes spoke my mind just a bit to much and taking annoying teachers comments about my behavior wasn’t really something I can-- or at least could stand for. That reputation came in handy sometimes.

“Look I’m not trying to be weird or anything but I think I know you”

“Lora, Alora Rowtag” I wasn’t sure why I said my full name but I was pretty sure telling him my nickname “Lora” wasn’t going to ring any bell. Plus I was sort of hoping my name would actually ring a bell for him.

“Whoa.. Huh.. Aloha?” Aloha was a nickname a lot of people teased me with. It usual wasn’t a big deal even though I never liked it but coming from him it really angered me. Not only because he just made fun of my name but because he knew me but not the way I wanted him to. Fortunately the bus came just then and I quickly went in but not before I gave him one of my most angry glares. In the bus I started to think about what just happened but decided I didn’t really want to get angry and it was probably stupid to get angry over someone who didn’t seem to know me at all.

Instead I began worrying about the fact that I was actually going to school today. Where I was going to see my friends for the first time since early July. Okay I didn’t really hate my friends but they were really annoying sometimes. Even though I didn’t really see them it didn’t stop them from calling and txting. Most of those conversations ended in ten minutes because I was either really annoyed or felt like I was going to get angry very soon and ended it for the sake of their feelings being hurt if I didn’t. Plus the conversations almost always ended with them telling me about a prank they pulled today. It made me feel like I was 25 whenever I talked to them. A couple of months ago whatever they were saying would have been funny or exciting to me but now it just seemed mostly stupid and childish.

I don’t remember when this started but I think it was around the time I got out of the hospital in mid-July. And again like so many times today the memory brought back feelings I shut out nearly the whole summer. But then I felt like laughing but fought the thought for the fact that I was in a public bus and somebody just laughing out of the blue wasn’t really a sane choice from my part. But still the thought that even thinking of my friends brought those emotions back was funny. How was I going to react when I actually saw them and they started to ask questions, questions that I’m pretty one hundred percent sure would have to do with the events that happened this summer.

I immediately started taking deep breaths to calm myself. I knew me getting angry was inevitable today but starting as calm as possible seemed the best choice.

______________________________________________________________________________

Vote Comment Fan