"Noong senior year namin, my parents told me that I will be introduced to my future husband once I entered college," she continued, as a melancholic smile appeared on her face. "Of course, I was shocked. Biruin mo, high school pa lang ako at ang supposed to be fiancé ko pero pinaplano na ng parents namin ang magiging buhay namin."

"That's . . ."

"I wanted to tell them I didn't want any of it, but at the back of my mind, I wanted to obey them. As the youngest and the only daughter of the family, I have this constant thirst to prove myself and seek for their validation. That I can also do what my older brothers are doing. That I can make them proud, too. Besides, going against them would just cause a cascade of problems, so after weeks of deliberation, I told them I'll do it."

Halos mapanganga ako sa narinig ko. "What?"

"It sounds like a lame reason, right?" she snickered. "That's why I was confused, too. How it was easy for me to throw away a relationship that made me happy just to make my parents proud of me. Then I felt guilty because it looked like I didn't love him enough for me to stay."

Nagsimulang tumulo ang mga luhang kanina niya pa pinipigilan. Even my eyes were starting to well up, too.

"I told him that I have fell out of love, but he had a hard time accepting that reason. Noong summer break bago mag-college, tinanong niya ulit ako kung bakit. I didn't want him to have any lingering feelings for me after I hurt him so much, so I told her I'm already seeing someone else."

I let out an inaudible gasp. Hindi ko alam na ganoon ang pinagdaanan ni Darryl. He must have felt confused and betrayed when Tricia told him those hurtful words.

"Why didn't you just tell him the truth?" tanong ko.

"I know Ian, and he'd surely protest and talk to my parents. I know my parents, too. They would do anything for their plans to come to fruition. Ayaw kong umabot sa point na magkagulo ang lahat dahil sa akin."

"So, you chose to hurt him?"

She ruefully nodded. "That's why I feel sorry and ashamed whenever I see him. It's especially hard since we're in the same university. Then, I kept on reading and hearing stories about him during the first few weeks. I knew he was doing those to get my attention, so when I learned that he got a girlfriend, it made me skeptical."

Napaiwas naman agad ako ng tingin, dahilan para matawa siya. "So, you knew right from the start that we were just pretending," I mumbled.

"Kind of, but I could also see how he was starting to shift his attention to you. And how he was finally smiling genuinely when he's with you. I admit it felt strange at first, but I found myself secretly rooting for the two of you."

My heart skipped a beat when I heard that. Was she serious?

I casually shrugged, trying to hide my discomposure. "We have already ended that. Besides, hindi pa siya nakaka-move on sa 'yo."

"That's why I'm hoping you can help him with that. If it's between Andrea and you, I would gladly support you."

Even her? Bakit ba ako ang nakikita nilang solusyon? And Andrea? Sino naman 'yon? This had nothing to do with me and being caught in the middle of this mess would just confuse me again.

A crease formed on my forehead. "Ha? Why me? And it's his personal issue to begin with."

She seemed to be taken aback with my reply. "Sorry. I didn't mean to force this matter to you. I'm really sorry."

"Oh, no, it's not what I—"

A deep and long sigh escaped my lips. Hindi ko na rin alam kung kanino ko ba talaga gustong magalit: kay Darryl dahil hindi ko in-expect na magiging attracted ako sa kanya at gusto niyang tulungan ko siyang mag-move on kay Tricia; kay Tricia dahil sa ginawa kay Darryl at gusto niyang tulungan ko si Darryl na mag-move on sa kanya; o sa sarili ko dahil mayroong part sa akin na gusto ring matapos na ang paghihirap nila.

I just felt frustrated after hearing her side and seeing how Darryl suffered because of that. Nakakainis ding nalaman ko 'yon dahil nagbago ang tingin ko kay Darryl. I wanted this still shallow feelings to gradually disappear, but the opposite was happening.

"Sorry, Tricia, I'm just really confused right now," I murmured.

"No, don't be. It's my fault for not thinking about your feelings."

"It's just that . . . Darryl said the same thing."

She gave me a confused look. "What do you mean?"

I was hesitant to tell her what happened, but in the end, I gave in. Sinabi ko lang ang gustong mangyari ni Darryl at kung paano rin siya nanghingi ng tulong sa akin.

"I see, so he already took the initiative," she said. "Guess, he's already halfway there."

"Hm? Halfway sa pagmomove-on?"

She nodded. "Ian is intelligent, but sometimes, he can be dense especially when it comes to his own feelings," she remarked. "It may not be part of his plan, but I think your fake relationship helped him a lot."

"Wait, what? And how are you so sure that he's already moved on?"

She smiled as if she knew something I didn't. "Because I know that look on his face whenever she's with you."

***