Chapter Five

"How about we have some coffee back at the house?" My suggestion got a nod and a cool "of course."

As much as I loved being around him, I got the feeling I had somehow offended him, so maybe prolonging the night in his company wasn't a great idea.

Here's to hoping he wouldn't really take up my offer of having coffee back at their house. I hoped he skipped it altogether so I could go to my room and scold myself for being a carefree idiot.

Parked right outside the house, we got out of the car, walking side by side. Producing his keys, he then let us inside the foyer. The house was dimly lit, bright enough for people to see as they navigated around their surroundings. I wondered where the stiff butler, whose name I had yet to find out, and Anne were. I supposed they had their own separate quarters, or they might have gone home and would come back in the morning.

"Do you still want coffee or a strong nightcap?" Cruz asked, stopping in his tracks in the middle of the foyer.

Frowning, I gazed at him with a contorted face. "Are you offering me alcohol?" I double-checked, confused at his sudden change of mind. Had I missed something? I couldn't be sure.

"Yes," he said.

"But I thought the main point of us leaving was for me to sober up?" My voice came out a little louder than intended.

He shrugged. "Not entirely. I didn't like seeing you alone with random men coming up to you, thinking you're the next dish to be savored. Archer left you to your own devices while he's probably up to some shenanigans."

"It's not really that big of a deal. I can handle myself if something bad happens." There was no need for over-protectiveness. It was appreciated, but unnecessary.

"Well, I made sure that didn't need to happen. So, coffee? Or do you want something stronger?"

"Coffee." The last thing I needed was to drink any alcoholic beverages and make a fool of myself.

In the kitchen, I decided to sit at the kitchen counter as I watched him prepare coffee from the espresso machine. Watching him closely, I noticed he had this way about him as he fed the beans into the grinder, as if he was in deep concentration.

"How do you take it? With or without sugar?" he asked after he made two steaming cups of cappuccinos like a true barista would.

Beyond pleased at his superb manners as a host, I licked my lips before responding to him. "With sugar. Two teaspoons please."

With the use of his manly hands, he followed my request while I intently took in everything he did. He could make cappuccinos all day long, and I wouldn't get bored.

Graciously handing me my coffee, Cruz chose to stand across the counter from where I sat, unassumingly sipping his drink while watching me taste mine.

"Are you feeling homesick yet?" he asked, seeming as if he wanted to know more about me. It was understandable since I would be living here for almost a year.

His question really made me think twice. It was odd, but I just realized I hadn't really thought of home much since I had landed. Maybe it was too soon to tell, but yeah, home was the last thing on my mind, most especially when I was facing this kind of male perfection. Forget home. I would rather ponder more about whether he had a stellar body or not.

"Surprisingly enough, no, not really. My mind is overwhelmed ... with everything."

"Yeah? Well, I hope you feel right at home here. If you have any problems with the staff or if you need anything at all, don't hesitate to let me know."