Chapter Nine Part One

Start from the beginning

"It just the expectation of become the proper wife to Lord Douro is getting to my head. Mother constant chastisement is making me nervous."

Lucian released his sister, and said, "Is it because of you passion for science? Do you fear that he will judge you as odd because of your interests?" Lexa did not meet her brother's gaze. She couldn't. Not when his words hit on to the truth. Yes, but she could not admit. She did fear what Edward would think of her. Think about her passions. Especially, when he now knew.

"I suppose," she said at last.

"Then he is not worthy of you, Lexa. Because any man who is to marry you and soon to be your husband isn't worthy of you, if he can't accept the part of you that make you so interesting."

"Interesting?" Lexa's brows furrowed. "You even don't think I'm interesting. I'm the eccentric sister."

"I was only teasing," said Lucian, "You know I love you, Alexandra. Regardless."

Lexa felt her tears dry, and she smiled; abet, weakly at her brother, "Tak." She said in Danish.

He smiled and kissed her on her forehead, "Selv tak. You're welcome."

He got up from were he was sitting, and said, "Do you still wish to see him?"

Lexa shook her as if to said, no, and replied, "Not today."

"Very well," said Lucian, and then he left her alone. Lexa realized that she no longer had the mood to draw her butterflies, and that as she took of her glasses it was quite dirty

When Edward left Montgomery House, his suspicion on the fact that Lexa was avoiding him was confirmed. Lord Herbert had come down the stairwell, and told him in an apologetic tone, "She is terrible ill. I'm very sorry, Douro. Monthly courses tend to make her moody and bedridden. Pray that Almighty Lord returns her to good health."

Edward muttered to himself. And to think that they were to be married in a week!

He sighed to himself. Perhaps he ought to give her some time. Perhaps, she was nervous and needed time to sort this out. And if time, is what she wished, he would gladly give it to her.

The ride back to Drumbroke was going to be a long one.

By the time he returned to Drumbroke, he learned that his father returned from Hampshire. His Grace was indulging himself to a glass of brandy, when Edward made himself present in the dinning room.

"You seemed to be in good spirits," Edward noted.

"Jolly good mood." said his father, "Brandy?"

Edward decided he needed some brandy, to get him off of what happened with Lexa. In fact, he didn't want to think about his impending wedding at all. Especially when he was to be married soon.

He took a glass and sat beside his father, and his father poured him, the orange-amber liquid, into his cup. He immediately drank it, and his father watched him. "Did you go to see Lady Alexandra?"

"No. She's fallen ill," Edward said, as he set the glass down. "But I think she's avoiding me."

"Avoiding you?" his father was startled by this. "Whyever for?"

"Nerves I suppose," said Edward, "Maiden fears, I don't know."

"Maidens are common for brides," said his father, "it will eventually pass."

Edward hoped so. But he wished that Lexa would tell him how she felt. Perhaps, their marriage will allow a bond of trust to form.

Trust. That word he completely forgotten about. Ever since his mother abandoned him, he found it hard to trust people. That didn't mean that he didn't have friends. He trusted his circle of friends, the people he had known since Eton. Those people, he trusted.

"Lady Alexandra seems intelligent," said his father, "She once wrote an argument about the Darwin's Theory."

"Pardon?" Edward blinked.

His father showed him an old American article that featured a science essay written by Alexandra Pierce. The article was titled: How The Origin of Species Sparked Question between Science and Religion.

Edward took the article from his father and flipped open the pages. He read the forward of the essay, and was intrigued on Lexa had argued:
In my opinion, I believe that science and religion have made a dramatic shift during the last few decades. Ever since the publication of Mr. Darwin's Origin of Species the question of the nature of man have been heavily debated. We believed in the religious context that humanity was created in the form of God, in the Christian context. The stories have been told in the Genesis 1:27, but even though we have come to understand the beginning of the world, Darwin believed that is not the case. The theory of evolution isn't based on the concept that we humans share a common with the primate but of it links to the process of natural selection. Natural selection the process in which, we as individuals adapt to the environment in order to reproduce and survive. We humans have been doing it for centuries, and hopefully will continue to survive as environments change and as we keep adapting to the circumstances to follow through what nature dictates for us.

After reading the introduction of Lexa's essay,  Edward looked at his father, and Horace studied him, thoughtfully. "Lady Alexandra is truly unique, I say," he said, "She is quite passionate in her argument . I don't think life with her will be boring."

It's going to be anything but boring, Edward thought to himself, amusedly. She kept surprising him at every turn. Edward honestly did think that Lexa would be a genteel lady who loved embroidery, piano, and domestic duties, but he was foolish to think of her that way.

Lexa shouldn't conform to society. She was unique in her own way. Perhaps, he ought to reassure her that he didn't expect her to be the perfect wife, that being herself, the way she truly saw herself was just fine.

She did have maiden fears, and the wedding was few days away.  Edward blew a sigh and felt that before Lexa and he married, they needed an honest conversation. They both needed to get over their doubts.

Edward frowned to himself. Did he have any doubts?

He didn't think he did. He knew he should have. After the failing marriage of his parents and the scandal that followed, including the miserable years in Wales, he should have doubts

But it was seeing Lexa for the first time at Lady Matilda's engagement ball that brought about a surprising confidence and optimism. He felt that things would be different. That he and Lexa would be different. After all, he was not his father, and perhaps, he could admit it privately that he was starting to become fonder of Lexa.
All this thinking was making his head hurt. So wanting to sort of his jumbled thoughts, Edward set the article down and stood up.
Horace noticed at Edward was about to leave and asked, "Where are you heading off to?"

As Edward grabbed his coat, and shrugged it on, Edward replied, "out for some fresh air."

Without waiting for his father's reply, Edward left the room

AUTHOR NOTE: This is the Last Chapter for 2015. Exams are coming up for my university and during Xmas I'll be out of the country. So hope you enjoy the last piece. I promise with the monthly updates! I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year! See you 2016!