Prologue

Beautiful Banner by FlyingSwallow123 

I've heard other accounts of the story, in ten different tellings, by ten different people. I myself underwent its terrible occurrences, yet my telling of the story doesn't capture the whole thing. I lived better then most, with a somewhat reliable source of food, and canopy of stars over my head, and people that cared about me. Some didn't have that. While all of us sacrificed our own liberties, such as safety, or wealth, nothing compares to what one man went through to gain his own freedom.

Freedom overall is something no one can take from you, I've learned that. Its the ability to think for yourself, and while you may be limited to act upon your thoughts, no matter what, you can still think it, and govern your own actions. Through a series of horrendous events, I found what was the most terrible thing I had encountered in all my years, something that honestly, and truly took that freedom away from you. I found what it did to people. I found a reason to fight, and so I did, and sometimes, everything fell apart.

My neighbors now still question me why I chose to hang a knife on the wall. Everyone knows I was one whom came as a refuge, and I'd seen war. They think the weapon displayed at the foot of my bed brings bad memories. They're wrong. All it reminds me of is bravery, bravery and sacrifice. All it reminds me of is two young men, not much younger then I was at the time.

It reminds me to never fall into a trap so deep ever again.