Chapter 7

The next day, Luke leaves to go on business overnight, and I'm left alone with Cassie. I've grown closer with her now, seeing as I spend so much time alone with her.

I lean on the kitchen counter, sipping a glass of water when the doorbell rings. I walk over to get it, but Cassie manages to run ahead of me, knocking me over slightly.

"Sorry, Luke's orders. I have to get the door." I let it slip, knowing that Luke was right in thinking I'd escape if the door was opened for me.

A woman wanders in, Cassie following. She has wavy blonde hair, and looks a bit like Luke.

"Hello," she says to me. "I'm Liz, Luke's mother. I... I need to have a chat with you."

What if she's a psycho too?

"Sure." We both sit on opposite ends of the sofa, keeping our distances. Liz looks a bit hurt that I don't really want to be near her, but I wasn't trusting too many people.

"So, you must be Diana. Luke's girlfriend?" Liz questions me.

"Something like that."

"Don't worry, dear, I know what he does to girls. And, I just couldn't let you be like the others. Not this time..." She looks as though she'll burst into tears, and all I can do is stare.

"You mean Sophie and Hana?"

"Yes. I'd never be able to forgive myself if I hadn't helped you escape. Luke's a bit... different, you see."

"A psycho?" I mutter, but she must hear me, because she sighs loudly.

"We wanted to take him to a hospital, but it was hard... we didn't have the money. Luke's too smart to be tricked into going. Anyway, you just have to trust me; can you do that?"

I nod slowly, curling my feet up on the sofa.
"Good. Now, Luke has a secret wine cellar, and there's a door in there... you can get out."

"He'll find me," I remind her.

"No, I'll make sure he doesn't."

"OK."

Liz gets up from the sofa, patting herself down as though nothing had happened, before walking away to the door, and shutting it behind her without a word.