Chapter 6

Despite Ferro's insistence that she didn't attend school the next day, Rebecca went.

After her last few days she needed a break—and sitting through a class would give her the distraction.

Of course, now that she was technically the official queen, it meant that she had five Fae following her. They were a part of her official guard, having passed through the ceremony successfully. As of yet, they hadn't spoken to her; they'd just remained a silent, brooding present behind her. All of them were different—age wise and appearance wise.

Curiously, Adam was not with her.

As she walked down the streets, she felt as if she was centre stage at a play. No one specifically stared at her, but she felt the stares all the same. Those who were on the streets with her quickly moved to the very edge of the road. Then they stared at the ground as they passed.

It was the first time she'd actually been through the streets. It wasn't like she was used to, but it wasn't uncivilised. The house were like bungalows. The shops weren't everywhere—just in one section of the town where market stalls were set up.

Rebecca had yet to visit, but she was going to the next chance she got.

Though her footsteps were silent, the ones behind her weren't. She'd been trying to ignore them, but now she had to break the tense silence somehow.

"So, uh, you can walk closer."

Silence greeted her in response.

"Do you speak English?" she tried again.

This time, one of them responded, his voice so deep Rebecca jumped. "I do, Regina."

Regina, she'd come to realise, meant Queen in Faelk. "Okay then. Good to know." She didn't know what else to say.

As silence fell over them, Rebecca kicked a pebble. The jeans on her legs were thin, so the heat wasn't that bad. The singlet helped as well. It didn't get nearly as hot as at home, but she still felt it—

The body that hit her from the side almost knocked her off her feet. Rebecca screamed shrilly—a little too loudly. The Fae following her jumped into action. She was shifted to the side with gentle movements.

After that, Rebecca couldn't see anything. Her view was blocked by two backs, covered in the same black uniform Ferro wore. She tried to shove her way past them, but it was futile.

Brisk orders were sent flying.

Damn it, she thought. She wanted to see what was going on. Maybe they'd been trying to attack her—but at least it was something eventful.

Rebecca kicked her foot out, catching one of them in the back of the knee. It was a low blow, sure, but it did the job. One of her guards faltered momentarily, and she took her shot, pushing past him and through the wall of bodies.

There was a shout of surprise, but she didn't let it distract her.

She didn't know where to look at first—there was too much happening. They'd drawn a crowd; Fae leaving their houses to see the commotion. Rebecca didn't pay attention to them.

No, her attention was on the elderly women being held on the ground, with unnecessary brute force. She was tiny; frail. Rebecca couldn't see her face, only the back of her head. Some of the cried were distinctly feminine—pained and weak.