Secrets and a Chase

Start from the beginning

John had now turned his head to face Sherlock completely, a bit taken back but letting out a huff of amusement. "Her name's Isabelle, and there's something about her that you can't figure out, of all people?"

"I know her name," Sherlock stated bluntly. "I can feel it. There's something. While you two were dating, did she ever-"

John's eyes widened, quickly cutting off Sherlock's question. "D-dating?!" he sputtered, "But I--she, we never-"

John was suddenly silent however when Isabelle reappeared in the room, stepping over to the end table where she'd left another small bag, presumably for makeup, sitting the day before.

"Almost forgot," she said, grabbing the bag and glancing over at Sherlock. He had now closed his eyes, his hands steepled under his chin. She then looked over at John as she turned, who seemed a bit frazzled as he stared at his laptop screen with a bit more force than what she thought necessary.

What an odd pair these two are, she thought as she returned to continue getting ready. But she couldn't help but smile somewhat to herself. Spending a few months with them would be more amusing than she'd first thought.

A small smirk had spread across Sherlock's face as well after he'd heard his bedroom door shut behind her, and John noticed.

"It was only for a couple months, anyhow." he quipped, beginning to type. "We'd just met." He had forgotten who he was talking to, the man who could nearly give you someone's entire life story based on their fingernails and the condition of their shoes.

Sherlock's sly grin was still present while he replied as if John had just said the most obvious thing in the world.

"I know."

* * * * * * * * * *

Isabelle sighed heavily as she sat down on a bench and twisted open the bottle of cola she'd just bought. She'd just turned in yet another job application, and was getting quite tired of it. She knew it was best for her to get a job taken care of right away, though; keeping herself busy kept her from thinking too much. She was afraid to be left alone in her thoughts for too long.

She'd gotten to the last job on her list, so now she was left with nothing to do. As she took a sip from the bottle in her hand, she supposed that it wouldn't hurt to enjoy herself while she was still out, perhaps do some shopping for a few things she'd need while staying in the flat. It then occurred to her to check her phone for messages, pulling it from her bag and finding that she'd gotten a text from John.

Sherlock and I are having dinner at the restaurant we talked about this morning, if you'd like to join us. We'll be there at six. - JW

Isabelle checked the time. It was 4:30, so she still had plenty of time to do what she'd had in mind. She quickly texted him a reply.

Sounds great. What's with the initials..?

She smiled a bit to herself as she'd typed this. Had he always done that? Not that she could recall.

It's a Sherlock thing. Once you've seen it enough it becomes habit. -JW

Sherlock. Of course it was. Isabelle wasn't sure of what to think about him yet. He wasn't exactly the most welcoming person she'd ever met, and the way he'd looked at her the day before made her a bit more paranoid than she already was. But he had lent her his room, although it was obvious he didn't like the idea of her living there, so he couldn't be that bad, right?

She took another drink of her cola, texting John back again.

Ha, alright then. I'll see you this evening. -IA ;)