Elliot [Part One]

Start from the beginning

             ⠀Pressing my lips into a flat line, I looked up to see a girl with long, chestnut hair smiling down at me. I didn't smile back and her smile faltered a bit, but didn't die. I let out a light sigh and then turned back to the window. Of course I'd have someone who liked to talk sitting next to me during this flight.

            ⠀"Urghg," I heard and looked back at the girl to see her struggling to lift her luggage up onto the shelf above us.

            ⠀I almost snorted. What did she think she was going to accomplish with those chicken arms of hers? She didn't seem to have any muscle. I could probably wrap my hand around her biceps.

            ⠀She stood on her tiptoes to try and shove the suitcase backward, but only managed to get it stuck at a weird angle. Frowning, she let go of it and I knew what was going to happen before she could even react. Shooting up from my seat, I reached over her and caught the suitcase that had slid back off and was about six inches away from smashing her head open.

            ⠀"Woah," she said, but it was muffled by my chest in her face.

            ⠀I easily pushed it all the way back on the shelf and then secured it before taking a step back away from her.

            ⠀Her face was beat red and I almost rolled my eyes. "Ask for help if you need it," I snapped at her before she could say something dumb like thank you.

            ⠀She laughed sheepishly and pushed her hair behind her ear. "Sorry about that. I like to think I'm stronger than I am."

            ⠀I decided a response wasn't obligatory, so I fell back down onto my seat. My phone had fallen off my lap and onto the floor and I picked it up, frowning at it. The flight would probably take off soon and there was still nothing from Allie. Maybe I'd just send her a text saying good luck? That wouldn't be weird, would it? We were friends first and foremost.

            ⠀"—Allie—"

            ⠀I whipped my head around to look at the girl next to me. She was smiling at me like an idiot again. Allie? Did she know her? "What?"

            ⠀"My name is Callie," she repeated.

            ⠀I felt a faint sense of disappointment. But of course this girl's name would rhyme with Allie's. The world was testing me.

            ⠀"What's your name?"

            ⠀I really didn't feel like talking. I was ninety percent sure what I was feeling was the feel of rejection and I wanted to bare it in silence, as I was unaccustomed to it. The other ten percent thought I was being normal because I did tend to think of Allie a lot.

            ⠀Like right now.

            ⠀I resisted the urge to punch myself in the head. Get over it, Elliot, get over it.

            ⠀"Is this your first time on a plane? It's my first time on a plane so I'm a little bit nervous. Especially because we're going overseas. If we crash we're dead for sure. Like, no chance of survival."

            ⠀What pleasant thoughts this girl was having. "You're talking too much," I said, out of force of habit from being around Allie. When I realized what I said, I froze.

            ⠀"I'm just trying to have a conversation," she shot back.

            ⠀The words rang a bell in my head and I remembered Allie saying that as well. Once upon a time, I wouldn't have felt guilty for my words, but now I did. "Sorry," I forced out. If Allie were here, she'd probably congratulate me and pat me on the shoulder.