Chapter One [REVISED]

Winter. How many words could a single person use to describe this season of the year?

Wet, cold, dreary perhaps? The sky was grey, and the snow was softly falling outside of a girls London apartment. It was a cold day; there was no doubt about that; however, the snow seemed to lighten her mood rather than diminish it. Some snow melted into rain that fell slowly down the window she was looking out. The glass was cold as she leant against it, the blanket wrapped around her legs doing little to fight away the chills.

The streets were unusually empty. The apartment was not in the city centre; however, it was usually still bustling regardless. Deciding to take advantage of the quiet streets, the girl stood up, deciding to go for a walk to get a hot chocolate from her favourite café.

A beige coat was pulled over her shoulders as her feet struggled into her boots before she tied the laces. Keys and a bag were retrieved from her hallstand before a swift exit could be made.

The snow fell gently down between other more giant raindrops and kissed her already red cheeks. Her brown hair becoming a mess behind her as the wind blew around her. The girl sighed in content. She loved this weather compared to that of Australia's where she grew up.

The air had been hot and sticky, suffocating almost as her skin would stick to itself, making every movement uncomfortable. The ground beneath her was a reminder of how lucky she was to live here now. She had a nice but small apartment; university was going well, and she found a café she liked and enjoyed a walk there in the chilly air at least once a week.

The girl tiptoed around some ice that lay waiting on the footpath, otherwise unaware of her surroundings as she took a deep refreshing breath in as she neared the Café.

The walk to the café was only five or so minutes and was most reasonable. There were a few questionable alleys that had to be skirted past and a small area of land that was dense with trees and almost oozed danger no matter how pretty the small wildflowers made the area appear. This trip had been made many times, the girl was almost on autopilot as she crossed the road, avoiding the alley before crossing back over again. The trees were coming into view, she swiftly bent down to pick a flower before walking past the dark jungle at a quick pace.

The feeling of being watched overcame the girl as she looked around quickly, not seeing anyone on the still deserted streets. Urging her legs to move faster as the feeling lingered, a breath of relief escaped her red lips as the familiar black sign for Nicolatte came into view.

Stepping inside, the warmth instantly wrapped itself around her and caused her cheeks to tingle at the change in temperature. The lights shone brightly as she stepped up to the counter, slowly waiting to be served.

"Ah, Good afternoon Blair, lovely to see you again!" The lady at the registers exclaimed as she saw who their new customer was.

"You Too Liz, although you know you'll see me at least once a week, I don't know why you always look so shocked to see me" the young girl replied letting a quiet chuckle follow at the end before continuing "just the usual for me to thank you".

Liz nodded at Blair before money was exchanged, and she stepped away to prepare the drink. Blair waited patiently to the side of the counter as she drank in the atmosphere. She always loved it here from the minute she discovered it. The building was small, but the glass windows that worked as walls made it seem larger as natural light was entering the room. The few tables that resided on the wooden floor were black and had small wooden stools placed next to them. Green plants in the corner eased the industrial vibe, making the whole area seem warmer under the glow of the lights. A smile was formed on her mouth as the uneasiness she had previously felt on her walk here disappeared, almost forgotten.