Chapter Three

"Oi! Lyra! Wait up!" Ron called from behind me. Two pairs of feet were walking towards me. Harry was probably with him, like always. I ignored them, and continued marching down the hall towards the Gryffindor Tower.

"LYRA!" Ron shouted, again earning me ignoring him. A hand clasped down on my shoulder, and flung me around. Ron was standing there with his hand still firmly clasped on my shoulder. Harry was staring at me expectantly.

"What do you want?" I scowled, crossing my arms. I could feel my red hair swish side to side in its high ponytail as I put my weight onto one foot.

"Why were you so pissed in class before?" Ron asked, looking at me suspiciously.

"Were? There is no 'were.' I AM pissed!" I said, glaring back and forth from Ron to Harry.

"Well, why are you pissed?" Harry asked impatiently. I could hear him tapping his foot from underneath his robes.

"Not saying." I said stubbornly.

"Oh come on Lyra! We both know something's up." Ron fought back. My scowl deepened, but then it lessened a bit.

"Fine, something is up." I said, trying to keep a straight face.

"No! I wouldn't have guessed." Ron replied. He thought he was being smart.

"The sky. The sky is up." I said, then turned on my heel and sprinted up the stairs, leaving behind a confused Ron and a laughing Harry. As the stairs changed positions, I looked over my shoulder and stuck my tongue out at my twin. Ron returned the gesture. I smiled and finished walking up to the Gryffindor Tower.

Walking up to the portrait of The Fat Lady, I said, "Quid Agis," before she could even ask for the password.

"Oh, well thank you Lyra for asking! I'm feeling fine!" She joked.

I smiled, "You know that's not what I meant when I said quid agis."

"Fine." The Fat Lady grumbled, crossed her arms and, scowling, swung open the door to the common room. I clambered inside an immediately made my way over to my favorite plushy, red armchair that sat to the left of the fireplace. Coincidentally, that was Harry's favorite also. Almost every night we would fight over, and it would usually end in me winning because I would shout Petrificus Totalis, thenslip into the chair, then unfreeze Harry.

I smiled at the thought and then pulled out a piece of parchment, my eagle feather quill, and a bottle of ink. I had an essay due for Snape today and I hadn’t even started it yet. Dipping my quill in ink, I labeled the top of the parchment: Wolfsbane Potion—the Use, History, and Ingredients

In front of me, the fire crackled more loudly than ever, cutting me off from my concentration. Scowling, I looked up at the fire. Nothing unusual was happening so I turned back to my work. Just before my quill was about to touch the parchment, though, the fire crackle even louder than before. I jumped from fright and knocked my ink bottle all over the floor. I groaned, and, while glaring at the fire, I knelt down and began picking up the pieces of the ink bottle.

I placed them onto the table, pulled out my wand, and said, “Reparo.

The ink bottle snapped back to its original, non-broken form and the ink rose up back into the bottle. Before I could sit back down, I noticed something looking at me that was in the fire. My head snapped up, and I looked at the fire. To my surprise, Sirius Black was in the Gryffindor fireplace! I tried to scream but nothing came out.

“Lyra? Is that you?” Sirius asked, squinting.

I merely nodded, my mouth still agape.

Sirius chuckled, “What’s the matter?”