CHAPTER TEN - Bolt From The Blue

Start from the beginning

"Is there anythin' else Timber is doin' that is abnormal?"

Henry showed her the fridge and the pantry and the garden. He told her that Timber had also been wrapping herself in a ball to sleep at night which was something she never did even during her monthly cycles unless she was cold. Grace seemed to be putting pieces together in her mind. Henry trusted her to be able to treat Timber and fix the problem, whatever it was because she had been Timber's nurse for thirteen years and knew her system better than anyone.

"Bring her down please, Henry," said Grace, opening her box and grabbing gloves.

Henry went upstairs and touched Timber's nose gently. She opened her eyes and looked up at Henry with heavy eyes and grunted her displeasure at being disturbed. Henry told her that her aunt was downstairs so Timber stretched, yawned, and crawled out of bed weakly. She looked beyond exhausted. Her four legs trembled. She stumbled to her husband and looked up at him for help. Henry picked her up and carried her down to Grace. When Henry was in front of Grace, he set Timber gently on the area rug and she lay down.

"Can you Turn?" asked Grace. A moment passed and Timber shook her head no. "Lay on your side for me, Timber."

Henry sat beside her as she stretched out on the floor. Grace checked her temperature and her pulse. Then she checked her ears, eyes, and her mouth, and then began feeling around her throat. As soon as Grace touched the stomach area, Timber began growling and snapping her jaws. She lifted her head toward Grace but the brave Southern woman seemed unafraid. Henry looked at Timber's face to see her eye was on Grace and her sharp teeth were showing but she was not attacking. Then Henry saw a taser resting within Timber's line of sight.

"What's happening?" asked Henry.

"She's fightin' with her wolf right now but I'll be fine. She's done this twice before. The first time, she gave me this." Grace lifted her arm and Henry saw an old, mangled scar in the shape of a smaller canine jaw. "The second time I was prepared and I tased her. Her body is goin' through major hormonal changes. She doesn't know what she's doin' but she'll remember what'll happen if she tries to hurt me. There we go. We lost you for a moment Timber, Darlin'."

Timber was quiet again and she lay her head back down and shut her eyes. Grace resumed her work. She stopped at the lower abdomen and froze. She looked up at Henry with slight worry and then back at Timber. Henry began to panic. What was so wrong that Grace was worried? Would Timber be okay? His heart raced so fast it was painful.

"Timber," asked Grace. "Have you had your regular cycle this month?"

Henry looked down at Timber as she shook her head no. Henry nearly fainted. It wasn't possible...

Grace took a white instrument out of the bottom of her box and a tube of gel. She plugged the instrument into her phone and opened the gel.

"What is that?" asked Henry.

"It's a portable ultrasound machine. I bought it a long time ago but I usually use it to check Timber's bones while she was growing. The last time I used it was when Timber fractured her ankle durin' a cross country race."

Henry looked down at Timber. She was laying still and watching Grace.

"I'm goin' to put some of this on your abdomen," said Grace to Timber. "It's goin' to be a little cold."

Timber shivered as the gel touched her. Henry couldn't move. He had to be wrong.

Grace put the instrument to Timber's abdomen and felt around until she found what she was looking for. Coming through the speakers of the machine was the unmistakable sound of a tiny heartbeat. On the screen was a tiny image. It looked like a little unknown creature shaped like a bean that was inside Timber's body. Henry's mind went completely blank and he could not take his eyes off of Timber's abdomen.