Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

Atreus shifted his weight on his other foot and looked to his left before turning back to General Hai. "There were three men that I'm assuming tried to kill the Empress. I'm not too sure on the details, but I'm pretty sure it was an assass—"

"You're not sure? How can you not be sure?" He frowned.

"I wasn't there when it happened. I only saw the aftermath."

"Are you alright, Lady Daiyu?" he asked, his eyes softening when he saw me.

I nodded, though it would be a lie to say I was alright.

"She's shaken up. I was planning on taking her to her room," Atreus said, taking a step to his left. "Do I have permission to leave?"

Hai nodded. "Of course. One last question."

"Yes?"

"Where did this happen?"

"The garden."

"Alright. You take her to her room, I'll see to the mess."

Atreus started taking me to my room, his steps quick and his eyes full of mistrust as he glanced at the various soldiers walking around. Although Meilin had crushed the revolt, it was obvious that there were still some enemy soldiers among our ranks, which had become more apparent after this attack.

"Empress, we're here," he said as he pushed the door open with his shoulder. He treaded in the room easily and looked from the couch to the bed. "Would you prefer the bed or the couch?"

"The couch, please," I said softly.

He placed me down on the couch gently, retreated away from me and grabbing the pitcher of water that was resting on one of the desks. He poured me a glass of water and handed it to me.

I mumbled a thanks and shakily downed the contents of the glass, relaxing somewhat. Atreus sat on the opposing couch, his hands cupping his knees and his gaze steadfast on me.

It took me a moment to finally calm down.

"You all were so casual about seeing that," I whispered.

"We've seen death countless times," Atreus said with a shrug.

"I don't think I can ever get used to that," I said, inhaling sharply. "It was so scary."

"I'm sorry."

"That was also the first time I saw magic," I told him, shivering. "It would have been more interesting if I hadn't seen . . . " I thought of Remus digging his hand in that man's chest and retrieving his heart.

"We've all been through horrible experiences that have hardened us," Atreus said. "The Peccata, I mean. Death isn't as hard for us to handle as it used to be. We were slaves before, so it's only natural that these things don't affect us as much as it would affect you. I'm sorry you had to see that."

"Can you tell me about your childhood?" I placed my hands atop each other to stop the shaking. There was no color in my face and I felt sick, my stomach flipping around.

"My childhood?" Atreus said, his eyes blanking for a split second. "What part?" his voice suddenly hardened. "When I was a slave?"

"N—"

"I was meant to be a gladiator. Unlike Nikator, who was taken from his village as a baby, and Minos who was sold by his parents, or Vita, whose parents were slaves, I was orphaned and thus put into slavery when I was two."