Scene from Serenade by Claire Du

From the author: This scene happened right after the main character – Elise, knew that her love interest whom she turned down – Connor, was the new investor of her dad's company. She had been avoiding him ever since but what surprised her was when Connor, together with his old band mates played a song for the birthday celebration of Elise's former assistant. It was a hide and seek game for the both of them at the office until this scene, where they get to have some alone time.

"Did she say what type of party she is having?" Lydia was currently rummaging through my closet as we were getting ready for Donna's birthday party.

"I guess there will be drinking because, what do you think would a 27 year old do in a bar?" I wore the sapphire earrings that mom brought me a year ago for my birthday.

"Then, which looks nicer? This one or this one?" She showed me two gorgeous dresses. One was funky, Diesel and the other one was more lady-like, a pink DKNY.

"Depends how you would want to be perceived by others, but I like the pink one," I replied.

She chose the black Diesel to wear, while I decided to use my LBD number. We met up with Donna outside Serenade, a new bar along the busiest street in the metro. When we went inside, I was astonished to see that Donna had a lot of girl and guy friends. They let her blow candles from three different cakes.

After singing the Happy Birthday song, the appetizers and our first round of drinks were served.

"Ms. Elise, I'd like you to meet my friends – June, Shay, Katlene, Joanne, Sandy, Michael, Patrick and Aries," I said hello to them, and we talked about where they work and what their jobs were.

"Donna, come and sit down, we have a little surprise for you," said June who looked dashing in a checkered long-sleeves partnered with khaki pants.

"You guys, you know you didn't have to. Coming here tonight was enough for me," Donna said but she was actually grinning.

"Ladies and gentlemen, tonight we have very, very special guests. They're here for the birthday celebration of Donna. Where's Donna?" said the host on stage.

Donna was urged by her friends to stand up and wave, so she did. We were laughing because she was so red in the face.

"Donna, you're friends wanted to make your 27th birthday a special one. For that to happen, they invited the band you've always been dreaming of to perform live.

"Oh my God! Oh my God!" Donna was already shouting, as if she already knew who the host was referring to.

"Everyone, let's welcome none other than the famous, The Charmers!" everyone was shouting and clapping and I was there, open mouthed.

Donna was a fan too? Her friends were able to convince the band, to perform again? Lydia was yanking my arm as she was being hypnotized by the guys who were once the protagonists on her day dreams.

Connor might have been able to recognize me while singing the song "Better Half of Me". He was, as always, so engaged to the music but when he saw me, it felt like he was reciting the lyrics for me.

One cold, breezy evening, in a dimly lit room,

I found myself sitting in a wooden chair.

Armed with a pen, a paper and a desert rose,

Immersed in deep reveries and a song to compose.

Connor went down to our table and hugged Donna while singing. She squealed with delight. The strobe lights' rhythm changed into a slow one, as if they were doing a slow dance. Connor turned to me, sat down beside me and continued singing,