Chapter 9

Alex gritted his teeth as he trudged back to the barracks. He had fallen behind slightly because his sniper wound had flared up, agitating him again. It was so sudden, he was taken by surprise. The instructor hadn't taken kindly to the child "slacking", so he made Alex run till he told him to stop. Alex ran, he never stopped, never slowed down, never complained. Which, all of this, surprised the instructor honestly. Any soldier, no matter how old or how mature, would be grumbling or mumbling curses under their breaths. But Cub was different. He followed all orders and never disobeyed any and yet, they still pick on him.
It was raining half melted ice, it was soaking through his camouflage and chilling him to the bone. It was kind of like raining slushie, except it was clear and flavourless. Alex was feeling dizzy and feeling very cold. He could feel a fever rising. He immediately used his remaining strength to take a quick shower and dressed in dry comfortable clothing. Alex could as well literally be the only one that actually wears proper clothing to sleep. The men usually just wore a t-shirt and boxers. Alex, however, believes his life is always in danger so he wears something that he can blend in with and hide well in but still be able to move nicely in and can conceal many items. Can you guess what it is?.... Okay you know what! I'll just tell you. It's combat pants, specially designed by Smithers to be waterproof and has many hidden compartments for concealment. It was comfortable and easy to move in. Alex had literally begged Smithers to make him more of it so it could become part his daily wardrobe. For his shirt, sorry to disappoint, it's just a normal shirt.
Alex waited drowsily for k-unit to fall asleep before sleeping himself. He had taken a few medication in hopes it would bring down the fever and cure his headaches.

The sergeant was getting worried too. He was watching his soldiers very carefully, especially the youngest one, Cub. He looks so bad, like he hasn't slept much and is very pale. Sure it has been a month and a half since he first arrived but the soldiers aren't treating him very well. Maybe I should confront him and ask him what is wrong. Yeah. I should do that.
They were currently sitting in the mess hall when the sergeant was about to approach Alex and the said boy's phone rang. He fumbled for his phone in his sudden surprise, he had answered the phone but the phone was suddenly snatched away. "Why do you get a service here? Hm? Why are you so special? Rich parents I bet you." Bear taunted. Alex sighed but didn't bother to get his phone back. Bear yelped as the phone zapped him and he dropped the phone in surprise, causing the phone to accidentally hit the speaker button. It wasn't clear but they got some parts. "Hello?... Lex!... Please come back... You're.... To die if..." Alex picked up the phone and took off, leaving behind confused soldiers. Ben immediately took off after him, suddenly remember one thing. He has been neglecting his ward.
Ben found Alex sitting in a tree, listening to music. He called out, hoping the boy could hear him. Alex's eyes drifted down towards Ben and he pulled out one side of his earphones. "What was that phone call all about?"
"Why do you care?" Alex snapped back, angry that Ben was so demanding, thinking that he could get whatever he demanded after neglecting him for so long. "You never did so why now?" Alex sneered. The rest of k-unit came, crashing through the forest after the two. They all watched the small lethal teen carefully, warily of the very dangerous angle the teen was hanging from. It seemed like a small gentle breeze could knock the kid over and send him plummeting down and possibly kill him if he ever lands in the worst possible angle-- on his head.
"Al I-" Ben didn't get to finish his sentence as something hit him on the neck. "What the." Ben reached up to see what it was but had lost consciousness before he could even get near it. The rest of k-unit had also been hit and were all down before Alex could react, he was also hit. The last he felt was tipping over and free falling towards the ground, facing heavenward. Then he had felt someone catch him and then darkness consumed him.

"Sir! K-unit is gone! We found a sliver scorpion nearby." A soldier reported, tense while waiting for the inevitable verbal blows. But it never came. The usually stoic sergeant frowned and uneasiness showed on his face. "A silver scorpion?"
"Yes sir." The soldier watched as the sergeant cursed and turned quickly on his heels and walked away briskly towards his own cabin. The sergeant entered his office and dialled MI6. He was dreading his phone call and has always hoped he didn't need to make a phone call like this but luck wasn't on his side.
"Hello Sergeant Kyle."
"Hello Mrs. Jones. We have a situation, k-unit has been taken and a silver scorpion was found." Kyle could literally feel the deputy head of MI6 paling. "Even our agent was taken?" She asked, almost uncertain and not wanting to hear the answer but she has to confirm anyways. "Yes Ma'am."
"It's Scorpia." She breathed out. "Thank you for informing us Sergeant. For now, Mr. Blunt wants you to wait for further orders."
"But-" Kyle couldn't finish his sentence as the deputy head hung up on him. Dammit! Wait?! Did they expect me to sit back and wait for my soldiers to come back in body bags?!