The Thing With Facebook/Whatsapp Wishes

Happy Diwali!

This is Diwali season. Which means you're gonna get hordes of wishes from friends and relatives. Many of which will be from friends and relatives who don't talk to you whole year except Diwali and Birthdays, and perhaps your Results day.

I love the way social media has bought us all closer and well, made wishing each other festivities easier and cheaper.

And perhaps taken away the etiquette of wishing.

Let's start with birthday wishes...

On WhatsApp.

Change the display picture to their picture and write a birthday wish as status.

Acceptable.

But then there are thirteen people on my contact list with same picture. Not cool.

And the wishes read...

"HBD dear Arshi, gbu emoji emoji emoji"

And honest to God, I read gbu as Gabu and not God Bless you.

When you wish people and they reply... Ty.

That makes me go all Hulk.

Seriously man? I'm taking my time to type out a message for you and all you reply is ty.

Say thnx if typing Thank You or Thanks is too much.

While we are at this...

Do you ever feel... Condescending when someone calls you dear onlibe?

Especially when it is followed by ty?

I dunno I deduce it as, 'Well, I didn't want to acknowledge your message or comment but you say me online so... I'm gonna say ty dear.'

Okay. It's just me being paranoid then?

I hope not.

See, I am not against using short forms. I use it sometimes, too. It saves time.

But what I am trying to convey is, it is a wish, a greeting. Put some effort into it.

There's no compulsion of wishing a person if you saw each other online. But when you're wishing them, if not call, at least fully type out the wish. I am not saying forward those lengthy wishes. God no. Anyone reads that?

No, what I am saying is... Take time. Write a small personalised message and send it. It will make the reader smile, for sure.

Until then,

Happy Diwali.

Enjoy your holidays and have fun!

All my love,

Arshi.

Peace.