Chapter Twelve - Scheming Mystic's

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Vincent scowled up at her, but didn't respond.

Levina tisked. "It will catch up with you eventually."

No, shit. That very thought had plagued him. "Why did you save me, one of the Legion?" It was the one question that had burned him from the moment he'd awakened.

She smiled mysteriously. "I have my reasons, wolf."

His jaw ticked. "And how did you know I wouldn't simply wake and kill Evelyn on sight?" Most members of the Legion were evil to the bone; they wouldn't have hesitated to slaughter Eve, or worse.

The very thought had him clenching his teeth.

Crossing her arms Levina leaned back against the kitchen counter and gave him a knowing look. "Oh, I think we both know the answer to that."

He feigned ignorance. "Care to elaborate?"

She raised a brow. "In denial are we? I wonder how long that will last. Your wolf will wake eventually. What will you do then?"

"I don't know what you speak of, sorceress," he drawled, schooling his features and taking a sip of whiskey.

"I know what you are after, Vincent Shaw. If you continue to deny your wolf it will lead to your ruin," she stated harshly.

His face remained a cold mask. "Is that so?"

Levina tapped a finger on her forearm. "You know, I once knew a man like you, consumed with power and revenge. He gave no regard to the ones he hurt around him."

"And what became of him?" he asked, not bothering to hide his disinterest.

She gave him a hard look. "I cursed him into the thing he hated most."

The glass cracked in his hand. Vincent glared up at her, his patience slipping.

"Do you know why you failed against the Demon King?" she asked.

Fury seared through him. He remained still, watching the mystic, waiting. "Why?"

Levina glanced at Evelyn, her features softening. "Because he fought for something far more precious."

Following her gaze Vincent took a breath, calming himself. "Why are you here?"

"I've come to warn you that Gabriel is aware you survived the Shadowlock. He is also very close to discovering your home in Wales. I would avoid traveling there again."

Fuck. His wolf growled in warning. "And how would you know this?" And just how the hell did she know of Hearthshire?

She smirked. "Gabriel has his sources and I have mine." Straightening she approached him. "If you wish to remain hidden I suggest you stay here. My wards will keep you hidden, even from Gabriel's seer."

Vincent stared over at Eve's prone form, worry creasing his brow. The Mad One had a seer at his disposal with a sight more formidable than anything Vincent had ever known. The seer had seen through the binding on the elven queen Victoria, a powerful enchantment put into place to hide the she-elf from the Legion.

If Vincent stayed he could very well be placing Evelyn in danger. Shit! His chest constricted, his wolf anxious with the need to protect. "So sure of that?"

"I am."

Could he risk it? "How do you know for sure?"

"Worried about yourself or about Evelyn?"

He gave her a death look.

Levina chuckled. "Gabriel isn't the only one with a seer up his sleeve. I've had my wards tested so to speak."