Man: Please, give me a chance.

Max: No. Why do you want to stay so badly anyway? I'm already 19. There's no point.

Man: I...I...I got into some trouble. I have nowhere to go. Please, don't make me leave.

Max: You expect me to help you? No.

Man: Please?

Max: We'll talk about this later. I need to take Jared his medicine. Wait here, Robbie.

I nodded. Max grabbed a bottle of pills and a glass of water before disappearing into another room. The man walked after her. I wanted to yell at him, but I felt sick every time I tried to open my mouth. I just wanted to know who that man is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jared's POV

Max: Jared. Jared. Jare, wake up.

I felt Max gently shaking me. I opened my eyes and tried to move.

Me: Ow.

Max: Sorry, Jare. Don't move too much. You gotta take your medicine.

Me: Fine.

She gave me the pills and the glass of water. I swallowed down the pills, followed by the water. I look past Max and see a man.

Me: Who are you?

Max turned around and looked at him.

Max: I never asked you to follow me. I don't want you in my house and I definitely don't want you in here.

Me: Max, who is that?

She looked at me. I gave her an expectant look and she sighed.

Max: Nate.

I know that name. She told me about him years ago. That's the older brother who ran away and left her behind when she was 7.

Me: Why is he here?

Nate: I want my sister back.

Me: What do you mean, you want her back?

Nate: Max, I have a place in New York. I know some people who work at some serious design companies. They've seen your designs and they would be honored if you worked wit them. Designing for that show is a small step. If you come with me, we'll be a family again, you'll have your dream job, and it will give you a chance to experience things you'v never even thought about.

She didn't answer. Why?

Max: It's all the way in New York.

Nate: It''ll be good for you. You'll get away from everything here.

Me: Max? Would you...really leave?

Max: No. Of course not.

Nate: Please, Maxi, just think about-

Max: No.

She stood up from my bed and walked closer to Nate.

Max: You lost the right to call me that when you left me. I don't want to leave anything here, I don't want to experience new things, and I definitely don't want to be a family again.

Nate: But we are family. I'm your brother.

Max: No. You're not. He is.

She pointed at me

Max: And right now I need to focus on him, so I need you to leave.

Nate: He's not your brother. It may feel like it, but he isn't. He didn't take care of you when you were a baby, he didn't play with you when you were bored, or protect you when you had nightmares. He didn't tell you that everything would be OK when you were sad, he didn't protect you from every danger. That was me! I'm your brother.

Max: If you were a good brother, you would't have left me. I don't need you anymore. Get that through your head.

Nate: So....what? Any boy you find is your brother now? We have parents.

Me: I was adopted, Nate. I have a new family that I love. If you still consider those monsters your parents, then good for you. Go back to them. I'm happy here.

Nate: You're happy playing babysitter? That kid over there is definitely old enough to look after himself. Why are you babysitting? Why not him?

Me: You don't know anything. Get out.

Nate: Why? Why would you choose them over me?

Max: Because you're not family. Jared is. And you don't care about me. Robbie does.

Nate: Who is he anyway? Why is he here?

Max: Robbie is my boyfriend. He and Jared were in a fire and their medicines have been making them tired, sick, and just unable to take care of themselves.

Nate: Boyfriend? The pretty boy is your boyfriend? Please. Max, he can't take care of you. He's a wimp.

Max: Get out.

Nate: Maxi-

Max: Don't call me that. Get out before I call the cops.

Nate: No.

Max: Jared, my phone is on the bed.

Nate: Max!

Max: Leave!

Nate was silent for a few seconds. I had the phone in my hand, ready to dial 9-1-1.

Nate: Fine. But this doesn't mean I'm giving up.

He walked out and a few seconds later, we could hear the front door slam shut.

Max: I'm really sorry, Jare.

Me: Maxi, are you OK?

Max looked at me and gave me a small smile.

Max: Yeah. I'm OK. You should probably try to get some sleep. It's still a little bit early.

Me: You're probably right.

I handed her the empty cup. She fixed my blanket for me, kissed my head, and walked out. I was reminded of the she would take care of me when I was sick when I was little. I smiled at the memories and drifted off to sleep.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Guys! Guys! I made the picture above. Well, ok, I took screens hots of the four pictures and used Photo Grid to edit it. Does it look OK? I think it looks OK. And yes, that's Zac Efron, I know. My crush on him is almost as big as my crush on Robbie Kay. Don't judge.