Chapter 9: Backstory

Robbie's POV

I walked into my room after the tour and Jase was laying on his bed.

Jase: Ugg. Dude, finally. I was getting bored.

Me: And what am I supposed to do about that?

Jase: Duh. We talk about hot girls.

Me: I have a girlfriend.

Jase: Let's talk about her. I mean...I know almost nothing about her. She's secretive. You're her boyfriend. You must know something.

Me: No, I don't. She's secretive. even if I did know something, I wouldn't tell you, because I respect her privacy, which is also why I don't try to make her tell me anything if she doesn't want to.

Jase: Come on. Aren't you even a little bit curious? For example, she has a British accent, but none of the other members of her family do.

Me: She's adopted.

Jase: See!? You do know things that I don't know.

Me: I'm not going to bother her and-

Jase: I get it. Relationships only work if you respect each other's privacy. But...what about honesty, eh? Or trust? Or openness?

I never thought about that.

Me: Well, we just started dating a little while ago. I'll give her time. I mean, really. How bad can it be?

Jase: Think about it. If she's adopted, there's a world of possibilities of what her past could've been like. Maybe she was given up as a baby, maybe her family didn't want her, or couldn't keep her. Maybe she ran away from home, maybe she's a fugitive.

Me: Really? A fugitive?

Jase: You're right. She's too sweet to have be a criminal. Maybe she had bad parents. Do you think she could've been abused.

I froze. Jared said her parents were abusive. I just couldn't picture it.

Me: No. Don't you think she'd be more...I don't know depressed?

Jase: Yeah. Anyone that happy couldn't have had that bad of a past.

Me: Whatever. I'm tired.

Jase: Me too. Night, man.

Me: Night.

------------------------------------------Next Day----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My classes don't start until tomorrow, so I just lay around the dorm room doing nothing. Finally, I started getting ready for my date with Max. I put on casual clothes. Black jeans, black t-shirt, white sneakers, and a black beanie. I drove to the theater and got there minutes before Max. She walked up to me and hugged me.

Max: Hey

Me: Hey.

She wore a blue v-neck t-shirt, torn jeans, black converse, and a white sweater.

Max: You look cute with a beanie.

Me: I know.

Max: So what are we seeing?

Me: Nothing.

Max: Huh?

I pointed to the Starbucks across the street. She smiled and grabbed my hand, interlocking our fingers. We walked across the street, walked into Starbucks, ordered, and took our drinks to a table. I couldn't help but stare at her. She's just so...perfect. I'm going to have to thank Jared for setting us up. Max glanced up and saw me staring at her.