Chapter 30 - By her bedside

Thomas' POV

The world around me stopped spinning. 'I'm afraid she's blind in on eye.' Those few words echoed in my head, harassing me, however I refused to process them. Immersed in the pain left from those words, I pictured her one cheery face, smiling and laughing:

(Flashbacks, from Thomas' POV)

"So what are you gonna buy?" I asked her, trying to make conversation.
"Oh well...you know...the usual...loads of biscuits...." She mumbled. I stared at her, confused. "I'm addicted to them!"  As she picked some up she did an evil cackle, and placed them in my basket. I burst out laughing. Her impression was priceless!
"You have a really weird evil laugh!" I chuckled. She just shrugged and laughed with me! We bought our stuff and met the others back in the van.
-------------------
"You know, a little birdie told me that you're ticklish!" I said. She instantly stopped what she was doing and paused, before saying,
"Me?! Ticklish?! Pffffft. Nah I'm not ticklish at all!" She tried to make it sound like she was lying, but I knew her much better than that! A smirk grew on my face. Knowing that she couldn't win this, she ran straight past me and down the stairs! The others had gone out somewhere so the running about wouldn't disturb them. When I ran after her, she sped up, and ran into the living room. She turned around to face me, but as she did, she tripped over and fell on the sofa! This is when the tickling began!
"No! Thomas stop!" She shrieked, laughing in between each word.
------------------
I watched as Lucy went on the zip wire. I knew how scared she was, and was worried about her. However, I watched as she went on it. Her eyes lit up and she was smiling. That smiling turned into laughing! When she came off it, she had a smile plastered on her face! We all ran over to her, cheering. She laughed as I picked her up and embraced her in a hug.
"I'm so proud of you!" I whispered in her ear, smiling.
"Thanks." She smiled back.
-------------------
I whipped her around, and she fell smack into my chest. Without a word, I smashed my lips onto hers, and the world just stopped. She instantly kissed me back, her hands moving slowly up to my hair, with one of my hands on her waist, and the other cupping her face.  I could tell she was smirking when I bit her lip gently, and she pulled away every few seconds to tease me. After she'd pulled away for about the fifth time, I groaned and pulled her face closer to mine so that she couldn't move. I smiled slightly, and kissed her again. Moments later, we pulled apart, and we were both breathing heavily. I pressed my forehead to hers, and I could clearly see her eyes now.

"Thomas? Hello?" I was brought back into the presence after a felt a firm squeeze on my shoulder. "Thomas, you've got to hold it together, we need you to stay strong like us." Dylan whispered. I could tell he was crying, and I felt cold wet tears fall down my face. But how could I hold it together?! The one person I cared so much for was behind those doors. I stared back at him, and said,
"Did you even hear what the doctor said?! She-she's blind in one eye." I mumbled. took all of my effort to say that.
"You can see her if you want." I looked up to find Doctor O'Connors standing there. "I'll leave you lot to have some time with her."

I walked over to her room and placed my  on the door knob. I opened the door, and again, saw Lucy. Her skin was dangerously pale, and machines that I didn't even know the name of was surrounding her. Her face was covered in cuts and scars and it looked like she had broken her arm, but I wasn't sure. I slowly walked over to her and pulled up a stool next to her. I put her hand in mine, and ran my other hand through her hair. I noticed she was wearing my navy blue hoodie. I smiled to myself, but tears poured down my face. Even though everyone else had come in the room, I ignored them, and kept my eyes focused on Lucy.

"Lucy?!" I turned around to see a girl standing in the doorway. She looked about my age. Her long brown hair was tied up in a ponytail, well it had mostly fallen out, probably from all the running. Mascara ran down her face, and her eyes were wet from tears. Her hand was over her mouth, and I realised she was shaking. She ran over to Lucy's side, and then the tears came. Tears poured down her face, and she tried to wipe them away with her sleeve. Kaya walked over to her and hugged her.
"I-I'm Emma. Lucy's sister," She whispered. "I got here as fast as I could, but it took a while because you guys are so far away from home."

Hours had passed. I was mentally and physically tired, but refused to sleep. I looked around and realised that everyone else was asleep. I lay my head in my arms, and looked over at the heart monitor, becoming used to hearing the beeps in the silence.
Beep..........beep..........beep..........beep..........
Suddenly, the once steady beeps began speeding up
Beep beep..........beep beep..........beep beep..........beep beep..........
Confused, I looked at the monitor again. After a while, they began slowing down again, until they had gone past the normal, and was close to a stop. Before I knew what was happening, it had stopped, and the room was now silent. I became panicked and ran out of the room.
"HELP! SOMEONE HELP! THE HEART MONITOR......IT'S STOPPED! SOMEONE HELP!" I yelled repeatedly. Not long after, a group of doctors came running towards me. They ran straight past me and into the room.

"WE HAVE A CODE RED!" A nurse yelled, and more came in. Then the rest seemed to happen in slow motion. The others had woken up now, and were in such a state, well so was I. We were told to leave the room but I yelled in return,
"NO! NO I HAVE TO SEE LU-LUCY!" I refused to leave, but someone came and dragged me out. The last thing I saw was Lucy lying in the bed, with loads of doctors and nurses surrounding her. Then the door closed and I could no longer see her.
___________________________

A/N Sorry I haven't updated in a while....and I'm sorry about this chapter....

I just wanted to thank one of my friends for helping me out with the very beginning of the chapter. Thanks Shelley :D

I will try to update soon, it should be updated some time this week.

- MazeRunnerNewt01