Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Renee's POV

My alarm started blaring and my eyes shot open. They still felt heavy from sleep so I rubbed them. I checked the time and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. "Lacy!" I yelled. "We're going to be late!"

Lacy fell out of bed and immediately started tugging on a pair of shoes. I grabbed a brush and started to madly brush through my hair.

We rushed around putting on clothes, applying makeup, and occasionally stuffing a granola bar down our throats. I gently took my collage down from my billboard and tugged on my shoulder bag, the one that looked like a piano. "Let's go!" Lacy shouted and we ran out of there.

We raced over the field and across the campus. I cast a longing look at the coffee shop, where a bunch of students in no hurry at all were drinking coffee or playing games. But I continued on.

We managed to crash into class two minutes before it started. Everyone else was already there, and staring at us. I blushed. "S-Sorry that we're late," I stammered.

"Faulty alarm," Lacy put in. We sat down in our seats, putting our projects on our desks. Our teacher, Professor Romeo, began to teach.

*~*~*~*

"Now before you go, class," Professor Romeo said loudly, seconds before the bell rang. "Your collages are due today, and I need them now. If you don't have it, you get an automatic F. Understood?" We nodded.

The bell rang, and I stayed in my seat as everyone else rushed ahead to turn their collages in. I found it easier to wait instead of compete against others that were much faster than me to get there first.

When the tide finally subsided, I got up and carefully balanced my collage in my arms. I approached Professor Romeo's desk, and she smiled up at me. "Ah, another job well done, Renee," she said approvingly as she took it from me. I smiled back.

Professor Romeo was my favorite teacher, although she could be a little strict at times. She understood photography like nobody else. She was an excellent teacher.

"Thank you, Professor Romeo," I said respectively and turned to leave.

"Wait, Renee," she said, and I looked back. "I have something to tell you," she said, and my heart quickened in my chest. Was something wrong? Did I fail? Would I have to repeat this class? Did I accidentally smudge my collage?

I looked at her nervously, and she chuckled at my expression. "Calm down, Renee," she said. "You're panting like a dog." I realized that my breathing was heavy, and I tried controlling it. I got nervous easily.

"Don't worry," Professor Romeo said kindly. "It's nothing bad. Actually, it's something quite wonderful."

That perked me up. "Really? What is it?" I asked.

"I know what you're going to ask," she said. "Yes, it does involve photography."

I grinned. "What is it?" I asked again.

She smiled. "I might have bragged about a couple of my students at a few outings I went to," she said. "Particularly, you. You're an excellent photographer, Renee." I blushed like before and thanked her again.

"One of my friends knows someone from... I think it's Teen Tiger? Yeah, that magazine. Apparently, they are looking for a new paparazzi crew. My friend told them about me, and I told them about you, so...."

My breath caught in my throat. This was kind of confusing, but exciting. Was I actually....

"And so they decided to hire you," Professor Romeo said proudly.

I stared at her for a moment in shock. "Really?" I finally squeaked out.

She smiled and nodded. "You start working in three days," she said. "Looks like you won't need to look for a summer job anymore."

"Wow!" I gasped. "That is so awesome! Thank you so much, Professor Romeo!"

She laughed. "You're welcome, Renee," she said. "If I were you, I'd start packing and practicing. You've got a big job ahead of you!"

*~*~*~*

"This is so amazing!" I squealed to Lacy in our dorm. "I can't believe I got hired by Teen Tiger! Can you believe it? Me, of all people!"

She nodded, but didn't respond. She didn't look very happy. I frowned, and stopped packing. "What's wrong, Lace?" I asked.

She looked at me a little guiltily. "I've never seen you so happy before," she said. "And I know I should feel happy for you, and I do. But... it's just...." She sniffed. "I don't want you to go!" she finally cried.

I softened. "Aw, Lacy," I said, sitting next to her comfortingly. "I won't be gone forever. I'll be back for next year, and I'll visit as often as I can. And when I return, I'll be the same old me."

She sniffled again and grabbed me unexpectedly in a large hug. "I'll still miss you," she said, complaining now more than crying.

I smiled. "I'll miss you too," I said. "Now help me pack!" She got up reluctantly and started throwing things into my suitcase.

"I'll be visiting my family tomorrow," I continued. "Then I'll have to find my own apartment. The day after that, off to work for me!"

"You sound much too cheerful," Lacy pouted and I flicked her forehead. "Of course I do, silly," I giggled. "And unless you start talking suicide nothing you can do can stop that."

For a moment more we packed in silence. I didn't own very many things, but I think we were moving slowly on purpose.

"You better tell all of those hot celebrity guys about me," Lacy finally smirked.

I shot her a look. "Lace...." I said in a warning tone.

"Rainy...." she said in the same tone, mocking me. "You better!"

I rolled my eyes. "I doubt it," I huffed. "I'll probably be so far back I won't get a single picture."

My heart fell to my stomach when I thought that. Of course that's what would happen! I was only a newbie after all. All of the professionals would be up front, and I'd be in the back, capturing pics of the backs of people's heads....

"What was I thinking?" I blurted out in a loud voice, making Lacy jump. "I'll only be in the sidelines. I won't get any pictures at all! I'm so stupid!" I plopped down on my bed and buried my face in my hands. I was so foolish to think that this would actually go my way....

I felt the bed sag next to me and an arm wrap around my shoulders. "You don't really believe that, do you, Renee?" Lacy asked. I moaned in reply. "Oh, man up!" she scolded, nudging me. "I'm sure you'll do fine. They wouldn't hire you if they thought you were useless! Geez, be real." I looked up slowly. Some of Lacy's words were making sense....

I blushed. "I guess you're right," I mumbled, embarrassed at my stress-flash.

Lacy grinned. "I know I am," she smirked. But then she frowned. "But I'm serious, get me some celebrity phone numbers," she said.

I sighed loudly and rolled my eyes up to the ceiling. "Lacy, we talked about this," I said, sounding like a tired mother.

"I know," she chirped. "But who knows, maybe a special someone will come along. A girl can dream, right?"

I snorted. Right, a girl could dream, and that's all she could do. A special someone? She must be nuts....