Chapter 12

The bus was pulling forward, heading towards the freeway once again. People were shuffling into their seats, covering themselves with their blankets and falling asleep again. The bus was silent with exception to Louis and I, who were very much wide awake.

"Do you mind me asking why you decided to take the bus to Los Angeles?" I asked after a while. I'd given into my curiosity. If he didn't seemed embarrassed by the fact we'd slept less than an inch apart, then surely he was all right with me asking questions.

Louis didn't look that surprised, but he didn't seem like he'd taken offense to my question. It was like he was expecting this sort of thing to come up sooner or later.

So, I continued. "I mean, you're kind of in a well-liked band and have quite a bit of money. You can afford a plane ticket or even a private jet to get across the country. So why the greyhound bus?"

He didn't answer right away. When he did, his voice was soft and quiet. Maybe so that we didn't disturb the other passengers. "Since the band took off after X-Factor, we've kind of been thrown into this very privileged life. Always had the best things, always been able to access things others weren't able to. Eventually, it got to me and I just... I wanted to buy a bus ticket to L.A instead of flying. I wanted to see what it was like, to know how people would treat me if I was just like them."

My mouth was dry and it was hard to form words. Even worse, it was hard to get the words out. They were there, stuck in my throat. I was sure the shock registered on my face and that was why Louis turned away just slightly.

But just before I could look like a total baffling fool, words were out of my mouth before I could stop them.

"And? Have you reached a conclusion yet?"

The corners of his mouth turned up into a smile. Crinkles by his eyes appeared, making my heart thump erratically in my chest.

"So far so good."

Neither of us spoke for a few minutes, relishing in the comfortable silence. The bus became a little bit colder, so I pulled my hands inside the sleeves of the sweatshirt and raised the hood. The sweater and hood was so large on me, it covered half of my forehead with a bit of room left to hide the rest of my forehead and maybe even my eyes.

Then, Louis spoke up.

"You know why I'm here," he said light-heartedly, "but now I'm curious as to why you're on a bus from New York to LA."

My throat seemed to tighten, my eyes burning with unshed tears. His sudden question brought up the memory of my aunt. I've done a fantastic job of not reminding myself why I chose to climb onto a bus, leaving my life in New York behind for one important and amazing woman in my life.

"M-my aunt," my voice trembled as I spoke. "Her health worsened while I was living in New York. For a while now, she's been unable to live on her own, so I'm heading back home to take care of her."

My gaze lowered and away from Louis, not wanting him to see the expression on my face. I'm sure it showed just how much it hurt discussing my aunt. Purposely turning my head even further away, my bottom lip trembled while a couple tears rolled down my cheek.

I took in a deep, shaky breath while trying to pull myself together. I didn't want Louis to see me like this, so shaken and vulnerable. When I was no longer an emotional mess, I turned to Louis with an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, my aunt has been the mother figure in my life and it's been a few years since I've seen her. I didn't meant to get so emotional."

Louis rested a hand on my knee, squeezing it gently before pulling his hand back. "You don't need to apologize. It happens sometimes. Are you looking forward to seeing anyone else in LA?"

The corners of my lips curved upwards automatically at the thought of my crazy best friend. "One, my best friend Tammy. She's absolutely nuts at times and a little hard to handle, but I wouldn't have anyone else by my side."

His small smile seemed to widen. "No boyfriend?"

I chuckled as my cheeks warmed considerably. "No, I really haven't found anyone interesting. You must have a girlfriend, though."

He shook his head, grinning now. "Nope. Long distance is a little hard when I'm off touring so much. The last one was a little hard and sometimes it got too hard to handle."

Before the surprise could register on my face, I controlled my expression. "Right, touring the world so often while maintaining a relationship must be difficult. I don't think I could imagine that, honestly."

For the remainder of the bus ride to Atlanta, Georgia, we talked about simple things. About the rain and how calming it seemed to be, even with the deafening thunder and blazing lightning. A few laughable comments on the bus' well-working air conditioner, favorite albums and a large discussion on food and Disney movies. For once, it was nice to connect with a stranger, someone I hadn't known before -- regardless of the fact Louis Tomlinson was a band member of a world-wide famous band. Even if it wasn't him I was talking to throughout the night, it would have felt the same.

Of course, I would have appreciated the new conversations and the new friendship... but would I have still felt the attraction towards the person? Would my heart still beat erratically every time his eyes seemed to sparkle or the crinkles by his eyes appeared? Would I have felt the same about the stranger as I do about Louis?

I didn't want to know the answer. Not yet, at least.

So, here's another chapter. Phew. Haha, thank god these chapters are short. Sorry for taking so long. Love you guys! x