chapter 1

Konoha Gates

Approaching the gates, Naruto jumped ahead.

"I'm starved!" He proclaimed. "Sakura-chan, d-do you want to go on a date later? I'll pay for dinner."

"Why the hell would I want to eat with you?" Sakura jeered.

"Forget it...I'll catch you guys later!" Naruto shouted, as he ran off.

'That's strange...' Sakura noted, as she watched him running. She had noticed he had given up too quickly after she turned down his offer. Ever since Haku's death, Naruto had been acting somewhat strange. She pondered it for a second but decided to forget about it. Kakashi and Sasuke seemed to notice as well, but didn't think that much of it either.

"I've gotta go give my report on the mission. Make sure to meet me at bridge tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM sharp. Well, bye bye now." Kakashi said, disappearing in a cloud of smoke. Sakura sighed, but then wondered if Sasuke was still there.

"Sasuke-kun, I..." She trailed off into silence, as she looked behind her. Discovering he was gone, she screamed so loud, it caused a flock of birds to fly off.

Ichiraku Ramen Shop

"One bowl of Spicy Pork Miso!" Naruto grinned.

"You got it!" said Teuchi, then paused, as though he'd remembered something.

"Say, didn't you just get back from a mission?" he wanted to know. Naruto looked up at him, and smiled.

"Yeah, I did."

"Tell ya what, I'm gonna give you another bowl for free! Take it as a compliment for completing your first mission." Teuchi said, chuckling, as Naruto's smile was even bigger now.

"Now that's what I talking about!" He exclaimed. Ayame giggled, as she got the ingredients for the ramen.

"If it isn't Naruto. I thought I might find you here." someone said from outside. Naruto looked behind him curiously, recognizing the voice, for it was unmistakable.

"Iruka-Sensei!"

"I was gonna ask how your mission went." Iruka explained, taking a seat.

"Oh," Naruto said smiply. "Okay."

He told Iruka about Zabuza and Haku, the battle at the bridge, Tazuna, Inari and everything else. He had finished off the first bowl, and started on the second. Iruka studied him, chuckling.

"It sounds like you had good time." He assumed. Naruto nodded.

"Haku was alot like me..." Naruto noted, as he stared down at his bowl. "Even though he had parents in the beginning, he ended up on the streets, with no friends. Nobody wanted him, nobody liked him... He was like an unwanted child. Zabuza was the first one to show him any kind of acknowledgement. After that, he decided that was his life's purpose, was to serve Zabuza...If we would've met each other somewhere else, I think we could've became friends..."

What Naruto said left Iruka speechless, for he didn't really know what to say. Naruto finished off the second bowl, deciding he was full. Iruka cocked an eyebrow at the fact Naruto had already decided he was full. He usually gobbled down three or four bowls before claiming was stuffed. 'That's strange...' he thought.

"You're already full?"

"Yup." Naruto answered, taking out his froggy coin purse to pay for his food.

"I'll pay." Iruka offered, as he stopped him and asked for the bill. When Teuchi showed it to him, Iruka gave him the money to cover it.

"Thanks, Iruka-sensei." Naruto smiled. Iruka nodded, saying it was fine. They talked a little while longer, before getting up to leave.