22 | luke

edited 10.20.17

l u k e

"Wait, you were at that same New Years party?" Michael asked, leaning over the table in pure interest. The two were in a very sleek and shiny sushi restaurant that Luke had no idea existed until today when Michael had tugged the blonde by his hand through the blacked out glass door. They were discussing their past, avoiding all the old relationship talk.

"Of course I was!" Luke smiled widely. "It was only the most anticipated party of the year. Sissy Longbird throws the best parties."

"Well I know she does," Michael laughed. "She invited me to every single one. If I didn't show up, she'd show up at my house and drag me there. She was quite a bully to me in high school."

"Oh, but you know what they say, right?" Luke teased. "If he's mean, he likes you."

Michael tossed his head back, his eyes shutting briefly as he let out spurts of laughter and Luke suddenly couldn't breathe correctly.

"That is such bullshit," Michael shook his head. "Honestly, if I were rude to you in the bakery that day, would you have ever come back, assuming I had a crush on you?"

"Well, you weren't the nicest in high school and I still had a crush on you," Luke shyly admitted, ducking his head down to sip the sweet tea from his straw. He felt Michael's eyes follow him and he cursed the God's above for giving Michael Clifford such beautiful eyes.

"What do you mean?" Michael's sweet voice was coated in a heart-wrenching mixture of concern and worry.

"The Michael Clifford I knew would have never spared a glance my way," Luke admitted shyly. "You were royalty and I was just the kid who happened to be directly in the way. The only time you ever talked to me was to tell me to move."

Judging by Michael's expression, he had absolutely no recollection of this ever happening. Luke bit his bottom lip, soaking up the reaction. He was a bit nervous to even bring up the subject with Michael and no he knew why. Michael was the type of person to wear his expressions so clearly on his face and Luke couldn't read all seven of them at once. At first, he saw confusion, then it was hurt, possible anger, and then embarrassment. Luke saw Michael's cheeks turn bright red and how his head dipped down. Luke wanted to do something, to say something to make the situation better.

Luke totally just ruined a date with Michael Clifford.

Fuck.

"Michael-"

"Wait, Luke let me explain something." Michael's shoulders straightened and the boy was now much taller than Luke while sitting. Michael seemed hesitant and reached for Luke's boney fingers, running his chubby thumb along Luke's index finger. "I went through a tough time in high school. I often isolated myself to try and figure myself out, but I never could. I promise you that I'm not that boy anymore. I'm not stupid enough to be rude to you, Luke Hemmings, not anymore."

Luke looked up at Michael.

"You weren't really mean to me, you just-"

"I didn't mean to be mean - actually that's a lie - I was rude to everyone," Michael's olive eyes locked with Luke's, "but I didn't know you and I hope you don't take it personally."