Chapter Eight, Part Two

Start from the beginning

She was coming towards him, with a small smile on her beautiful face. She stood in front of him with a book clutched to her chest and tilted her head, slightly as if se was studying him.

"Hello, dear," she mused to him, "It's been a while."

"A long while," Edward said, "Entirely my fault, of course."

Lexa was still smiling, "Hardly your fault. Are you well then?"

"Much better," Edward said.

"I just met Lord Sandwich," said Lexa, "He is ever delightful."

"He is indeed," said Edward, "A charmer as well."

"Handsome too," said Lexa, and Edward knew she was provoking him, "He has such beautiful dark blue eyes."

"Humph," said Edward, "Laura said the same thing."

Lexa giggled, a sweet girlish laugh, and then she said, "Laura?"

"Yes," said Edward, "She is here."

"Where?" Lexa spin her head around and her eyes were scanning the room. "I don't see her."

Just then, Laura approached him, and said, scowling, "How long have you been standing there, Edward? I swear you are no fun."

Lexa turned to see a girl, no less than seventeen, who looked quite identical to Phoebe and Edward. Seriously, was Phoebe related to him? The resemblance was undeniable! Lexa made it her mission then, to uncover the mystery.

But this girl was younger in appearance, and she was wearing a salmon pink dress with florals with a blue frock tugged into the bodice and blue ribbons at the back of her bustle. Her dark brown hair was curled and pinned into a tight coiffure. Her dark hazel eyes met hers and the girl's American accent, said, in recognition, "Alex?"

Edward saw Lexa's lips twitch upwards and she said, "I haven't been called Alex in a long time, Laura."

Laura squeaked, and hugged Lexa, "Oh my goodness Alex! I can't believe you're here! I missed you so much!"

Lexa laughed, "I missed you too, Lala."

Laura looked as if she was in the brink of tears, "I really can't believe that you are marrying Edward. You should have seen Mama's face when Uncle Horace told us."

Lexa was amused, "How is your mother?"

"Quite well," said Laura, "She gave birth to a girl. Susanna Madison."

"Oh," said Lexa, "I'm glad."

"Alex," said Laura, "You really must tell me about your wedding. When is it?"

"Next week or so," said Lexa.

Laura giggled, "Tis great that I'm here, so I shan't miss it."

"Of course," said Lexa.

Then over her shoulder, something caught Laura's eye, and she gasped, "Phoebe!" She turned to Lexa and Edward and said, "Pardon me." And left the two of them alone as she went to Phoebe.

Silence befell them for a short while, before Edward broke it with a question: "Alex?"

Lexa turned to him, and shrugged, "I have many nicknames. Alex was what I was called when I was in America."

"As well as Miss Pierce?"

Lexa gasped, "How did-no, no! Lady Hestia told you, am I correct?"

Edward twitched, "Amongst others?"

Lexa felt her cheeks burning as she narrowed her eyes, "What others, may I ask?"

"Why did you choose to be called Miss Pierce rather Lady Alexandra?" he countered, avoiding her question.

"I asked you a question first," said Lexa.

"And I'll answer when you answer mine," Edward countered

"Hardly fair."

"Life's unfair.

"Besides the point," she muttered. Then she sighed and resigned, "Well, if you are going to be stubborn about it. I named myself Alexandra Pierce rather than be Lady Alexandra Herbert because it was America! I felt I was an individual who wanted to be created for her efforts rather than being the daughter of a peer. As I was fascinated by American history, I chose to be called Alexandra Pierce after one of the Founding Fathers, Franklin Pierce."

"So you wanted to be American?" Edward asked.

Lexa shrugged, "I suppose. Now what others has Lady Hestia told you about me?"

The next words that would come out of Edward's mouth were one he never knew he would regret. "That you were interested in science and biology. That you would talk endlessly about th reproduction of hedgehogs and-Lexa?"

Her face was white from shock and horror. It was so pale, Edward feared she was going to faint. Then she recovered, but only slightly and her expression changed. It became dark and haunted. And it had a certain sadness that Edward felt inside his heart.

"Excuse me," she mused.

Edward didn't stop her. She turned, and fled the ballroom and its entirety.

Her eyes had so much pain that it broke his heart. His words had hurt her deeply and opened an old wound. Never more did Edward regret what he did more that he did now.