Chapter 12

Resseme
He denied us! I can fight! Why won't he let us through? I struggle, trying to get out of the 'protective' circle. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch a glimpse of Ivette crawling under a horse's legs.
"Ivette!" I try to call but, she won't be able to hear me over the sound of the fighting and the rain. The wind blows harder, turning the raindrops into spears. I look on in horror as Ivette reaches the edge of the circle.

Everything slows as I see that to the left of her crawling form, a boulder is falling. A large burst of wind pushes it off course. I watch, petrified, as my little sister is crushed. All you can see is her small hand and the rain washing out blood from underneath the huge rock. I am dimly aware of the army's general calling for a retreat, and all the men ride passed me.

"Resseme!" I hear a muffled voice. Dalin rides passed me, taking my reins in his hand, and we follow the soldiers. We ride until we get to the closest town. the town of, Lareith.

"We will shelter here for the night and will get to the castle tomorrow noon. We cannot continue to ride with so many injured," The King shouts.

I climb off my horse and fall to the ground, shaking. She's dead... dead... The image is replaying in my head over and over again; seared into my mind forever.

"Resseme! I can't find Ivette." Dalin panics as he helps me up from the ground.

"She's..." I open my mouth expecting the words to come out. "Ivette... boulder... wind..." is all I can make out to say before I break into tears. Dalin, understanding the little I said, embraces me, and tears streak his dirty face. I bury my face in my hands and run off when I hear someone approach. No one can see me like this. I stop when I get behind a building and slide down the wall. I hear someone singing from behind a tree near me. She sings,

A slow, steady beat
A rhythmic wonder
Keeping pace
To life's music.
The sustaining pulse
The thing that keeps us alive,
Has come to a stop.

For though it may be sad
And the tears may stain
Everyone must take
That One
Last
Breath

"Isolynn?" I ask in a loud whisper. I wipe the dry tears off my face as Isolynn turns to look at me from behind a tree.

"You know, Lady Resseme, you aren't nearly as bad as I thought you were."
I sniff, "What do you mean by that?"
"Caring. Loving. Never saw it coming. I'm sorry about your sister."

"You saw?" Isolynn nods. I try to smile, "And, I suppose, you are not as bad as I thought as well. Your voice actually sounds sincere." We sit in silence for quite a few moments before I say, "Since we are going to be training together, maybe even become friends, you could stop calling me 'Lady'. You don't have to though," I try to smile, tears still in my eyes.

She looks at me a moment before nodding and smiling, "I think I can do that."