Chapter 10

Resseme
    In the morning, I can smell food cooking around the fire. Everyone in my tent had already woken up but, Isolynn was still in her bed, reading one of her books.

    "Good morning," I yawn, sitting up.

    "Morning." She says without looking up from her book. "Oh, Lady Resseme?" She puts down her book, "Can I borrow a pair of riding clothes?"

    "Oh yes, Hi Lady. Can I have
clothes?" I laugh as I fix my hair. "That isn't how you start a conversation, Miss Isolynn."

She shrugs, "Sorry." She says with a smile in her voice.

"I did notice how terrible you looked yesterday on the horse." She smirks as I continue, "I don't see why you can't borrow a pair." I walk over to my bag and take out my least favorite of the two I have left. I toss them to her bed.
"Thank you," She says with a smile.

"Really?" I study her eyes. "You mean it," I state.

She turns back to her book and continues reading. The one second we 'connected' was gone. I rolled my eyes and look outside the tent. As I look around outside, I notice all the other tents are packed.

"You know, if you want to speed things along, you could hurry up and eat." She says barely looking up from her book.

I straighten my back and respond, "You could hurry up and get out so they can pack the tent." Before Isolynn has time to defend herself, Dalin walks into the tent, bringing me a plate of food.

"You, eat this."

"Don't tell me what to do," I laugh. He turns to Isolynn,

"Miss, we need you to gather your's and Ragnhild's belongings."

She looks up from her book, frustrated at all the interruptions.

"I have my stuff. He can get his own." she closes her book, grabs the clothes I gave her and one bag and leaves the tent.
She comes back not a minute later, "Can you leave so I can change?"

Dalin looks at her awkwardly, "Of course."

"I better leave also." Dalin and I leave the tent.

"Good morning my Lord and Lady," the King greets us. "Ready for the road ahead?"

"I am ready for almost anything." Dalin jokes. Ragnhild joins Dalin and they soon start a conversation with the King. I go and ready my horse. I had chosen to name him River because of his grey hide.

I notice my things already packed on his back and I feed River the rest of my breakfast. The Prince comes to meet me.

"Lady Resseme. I am afraid we hadn't properly met," he bows.

Him? Bow to me? I let a laugh escape my mouth, which surprises him.
"Yes, sorry my Prince." I curtsy in return. "Tis a pleasure to meet you."

"My father did send me to deliver some news about the path to the castle. He said that if we leave within ten minutes, we will get there around supper."

I nod in understanding and my gaze slips to behind the Prince where I notice Isolynn.

"This, My Prince," I scoot over to Isolynn's side, "is Miss Isolynn. Have you two met?"

She looks up from her straps, "I believe I have seen him somewhere." I turn to her, clearing my throat.

Embarrassed, I lower my voice, "Have you been so terribly treated in my house that you do not know how to speak to authority?" Then I see her smiling, which makes me more red.

She carefully clears her face before saying, "No. I would speak this way even if you were never in charge of me."

This makes me smile. I admit it. I have a weakness for power, but to be fair to myself, it is my only weakness. I clear my face as well before turning back to the Prince.

"Thank you, My Prince. We shall be ready within five minutes." Isolynn and I curtsy as he leaves.

"What did he come to say?" She asks me when he left.

"If we leave in ten minutes, we should get to the castle around supper." While Isolynn is placing her bags on her horse, the sun glints off something around her waist. Daggers. I can only imagine how beautiful they must be. Possibly, the most expensive thing she owns.

This brings me to question, "Do you think we are in danger?"

She obviously sees my sword as well. She answers, "These roads will be the safest with the King riding with us "
"Didn't he say something about a kidnapping risk?" I study her facial expressions as I continue, "Safe with the King? What if someone desires to assassinate him? And with us there... two birds one stone."

"And a couple hundred men."
I roll my eyes. "Haven't you been wondering what he meant by a kidnapping risk? I can't possibly be the only one."

"Positive thinking." She says in a sing-song voice.

Before I can respond Dalin and Ragnhild rush around us to ready their horses.

"We will be leaving now," Ragnhild says, out of breath.

"Why are you so short of breath?" Isolynn tries to ask.

"On to your horse, now, my dear sister." Dalin pushes me.

"Why are you rushing us?" I ask.

"We need to get to the castle before night fall." Ragnhild answers.

"Why does it matter so much?" Isolynn asks. Both boys stop and turn slowly turn to face us.

Dalin  smiles, "No reason. We only wanted to see your reactions."

I whisper to Isolynn, "You can also tell he is lying, right?"

"You see it too? Good. I thought I was the only one."

I clasp my hands, "Anyways, I suppose we shall get on our horses." I swing on to River. "We could be leaving any minute." I look around as Isolynn climbs on to her horse as well. I ask, "Dalin, where is Ivette? I haven't seen her since yesterday around the fire."

"I just saw her a moment ago. The King is helping her saddle her horse, which she has chosen to name Apricot."

The Kings trumpets go off. "Gather, Gather! We must be away!" The Prince calls.

"Are you sure there is nothing you want to tell us?" Isolynn asks as she shifts in her saddle.

"Now why would we want to do that?" Ragnhild responds before he kicks his horse, following Dalin to the front of the line near the King and Prince. The soldiers seem restless. 

There is something seriously wrong right now. The whole atmosphere has changed. Yesterday, it was exciting. We are on an adventure! Today seems, restricted and dangerous. Ah yes. Danger. This is exciting! My relationship with danger is the same as the one I have with trouble. Why else would Dalin keep something from me?
I turn to Isolynn. In her eyes, I see a little less hatred than she had for me in the beginning. 

I spur River and he trots into the group of soldiers, Isolynn following close behind.