That's when a pink cloud of smoke erupted from behind the chair.

The detective sighed. "Damn. And I thought that would help for sure..."

"S-Shin-chan? I-Is it still there?", he heard Kaito ask from the safety behind the leather chair, his now green and orange striped hair was the only thing you could see of him. "'Hic!'"

The other hurried to get the fish out of Kaitos sight and convinced the magician that it was save to come out again and that there were no 'large, f-finny monsters' out there anymore.

Shinichi had to apologize again and again to the sulking magician in front of him.

"Kai, I am really, really sorry! Please..."

Kaito huffed. "I get it, Shin-chan. It's 'hic' okay."

"I'm glad. Now. Let's see what we can do to stop that nasty hiccup of yours..."

* * *

"Against hiccup? Huh... you could try eating sugar or drinking vinegar... why?", asked Ran over the phone.

"Eeh... well..." The detective scratched the back of his head. "Kaito has this nasty hiccup... and all his stuff is exploding around him... and... ohMyGod, Kai, is thatneon pink glittery hair!?", Shinichi exclaimed with horror in his voice.

Ran chuckled at the other side of the phone. "Well, sounds like you two are having fun~! Bye, Shinichi, and good luck!"

"Ran, wait! What if that won't work?"

"Well... did you try to scare him?"

"Yes. Yes I did. And he got scared. A lot. But it didn't work!"

"How did you scare him?"

"I... promised not to tell anyone, but... I can say he's terrified of... it. So..."

"Hmm... shocking someone is normally the best way... you have to get him off guard, right? So, if it won't work... I'd have another Idea...", she said with an audible smirk in her voice and began to explain what she had in mind while the poor detective's face became redder per second. "B-But Ran, I-"

"Nope. Trust me, detective. Just... Do exactly as I said. Bye!" And she hung up, leaving Shinichi red faced and confused. Did she really... she couldn't... why...

"Urgh!", he groaned, his head was a mess and he hit the red button with more force than necessary.

"Shin-chan? You 'hic' okay?", asked the magician, sticking his head out of the library. His hair was now coloured in a deep shade of blue and yellow, one of his birds proudly sitting on his head.

Shinichis lips twitched and Kaitos face became dark. "So-Sorry...", the detective apologized. "What did Ran-chan say?" He thought about what Ran said earlier and felt his face heating up. He hastily explained Kaito the stuff with the sugar and Kaito disappeared (happy to eat sugar) into the direction of the kitchen.

But that didn't work, either. It made it even worse. And the vinegar wasn't an option (Kaito doesn't even like coffee, so...).

He called Hakuba and Aoko, but they just repeated the stuff what they already tried. Akako offered to cast a spell but the detective hastily dodged that. Haibara suggested that the magician should drink a glass of water while he stands on his head.

They tried that next. Without any effort the young prankster put himself upside down in the middle of the room and Shinichi really had to bite his tongue to stop himself from drooling at the sight of Kaitos strong arm-and back muscles (without a doubt they are from his stunts and tricks as a magician and thief...) that moved under the thin black cloth.