Tips on Getting Reads

Getting reads on Wattpad is relatively easy, but votes and followers are something you have to work for. More votes means more chance of your work getting noticed, and followers are always good to have.

The point of Wattpad is to write what you love, and to share it with others. So, overall, NEVER write something just because it is more popular or what others are writing. Always write what's on your mind and what you would like to share.

Getting reads is easy. When creating a story, be sure to add tags. Irrelevant tags are annoying, however, so make sure each tag has something to do with your story. For example, you wouldn't write a story about flowers and tag it with "anime" or "fanfiction" or "chicklit" because they are irrelevant. Those tags and genres are popular, and people will definitely click to see what your story's all about, but once they figure out that it was just click bait, they'll be outta there in no time. Your story about flowers should have tags such as "botany" or "flowers" or "plants" or "garden". There's a ton for every subject. Just take time to think about it.

Make your story interesting, and compelling. You want your story to captivate your readers, and make them come back for more. Cliffhangers are good and something I personally use. They may aggravate us for a second, but you have to stay to find out what happens, right?

Despite being told never to do so, people really do judge things at first glance. A nice cover will capture eyes, and people will take notice. I use the Wattpad Covers app and Picsart, along with photos from Google or Tumblr. Make sure the cover can somewhat capture what the story is about. Of course, there are a few people on Wattpad who have their account solely for making covers for other people. Ask them, or, ask someone with a nice cover to help you or make a nice one for you.

Good wording and grammar promotes a good story as well. Spelling and grammar should always be checked, and revising your writing is always a good idea. Try to expand your vocabulary. People enjoy big fancy words, haha.

Remember, do not write something you don't want to write. Write what you love, or are thinking about. If you write with passion, it will definitely show!

Hope this helps you get more reads! In the next part, we'll talk about how to get more votes!