Sunset

James

It was around 3am, I was still at The Palace Pool Club, in the cabana Sam had rented. Drunk, but not completely wasted. Looked around me. Sam and Bret were in a deep discussion about... Politics? Wtf. People were just dancing around the tables. Three girls were doing some sort of sexy dance, and it was obvious they were doing it for my benefit. I eyed them and smiled just to appease them. Really. These girls were all the same.

She's different. The thought, sudden and unwelcome, entered my mind. I didn't even have to ask myself who she is. Nadine. Of course.

The past week had been crazy busy. Heck, the past months have been insanely busy. We had work almost everyday, which meant I was with Nadine almost everyday. MWF for OTWOL, the rest of the week for all other engagements. Left and right endorsements, rehearsals, mall tours and concerts. It was exhausting, but I loved every minute of it. It didn't feel like work to me.

I loved performing more than anything. On our last On the Road Concert tour, I enjoyed myself so much that when Nadine and I did our Love Me Like You Do number, I kissed her hand though I was not supposed to, hugged her with my eyes closed and I swear, it was all I could do not to kiss her on the lips at the end of the number. God. It bothered me so much that I went straight to Ultra PH after. Got drunk. And got caught on camera being chummy with Debbie. Stupid paparazzi. Debs really is just a friend.

The past week was all for Nadine, it seemed. They made me give her flowers, stuffed toys, balloons and cakes in almost every event we went to. Why don't guys get the same treatment? Unfair. I had to give her a birthday message at least a dozen times that I've practically memorized my message: I wish you more success... Keep your individuality... You're very different... Happy birthday...

I meant every word though. Although I feel that Nadine probably zoned out after the first 2 messages. I laughed to myself. The last message I gave was yesterday morning by the yacht..

We were at OTWOL taping. Since Nadz was leaving Friday morning, taping took place Thursday and went way up until Friday in the early morn. It was a fun shooting day, we went first to Binondo, then San Agustin Church and then Baywalk.

We were a little early to Baywalk, because we didn't want to miss the sunset, which was what the scene called for. So Nadine and I sat by the ledge while the crew set up around us, just talking.

"I saw this movie the other night. A Walking Life."

"Yeah?" Nadine mumbled. She was looking at her phone, her forehead crinkled as if she was thinking. Then she sighed.

"What's wrong?"

"I miss Instagram."

"So Instagram."

She looked at him. "Buti ka pa. Lahat sayo simple."

"Because it is, Nadz. If you're avoiding Instagram to prove a point, stop. You're too artistic and you need to put it out there."

"Parang ang dali lang e noh."

"I know exactly how you feel, Nadz. The difference with us is, I don't care what people think." I wiggled my eyebrows.

She laughed. The laugh that I've gotten so used to hearing every day for the past 2 years. "Ano sinasabi mo ulit? About a movie?"

"Yeah, there was this boatman who said something really interesting." I took out my phone and googled A Walking Life quotes. Found it.

The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving. It saves on introductions and goodbyes. The ride does not require explanation - just occupants. That's where you guys come in. It's like you come onto this planet with a crayon box. Now you may get the 8 pack, you may get the 16 pack but it's all in what you do with the crayons - the colors - that you're given. Don't worry about coloring within the lines or coloring outside the lines - I say color outside the lines, you know what I mean? Color all over the page; don't box me in! We're in motion to the ocean. We are not land locked, I'll tell you that.

Nadz looked at me, an eyebrow raised. "So ano ibig sabihin nun? Naiintindihan mo ba?"

"I have my interpretation. Don't you think it's interesting?"

We went on to talk about our opinions on the quote. Nadine gave her phone to Caryl and gave her instructions on how to take pictures while we were talking. Said she'll consider putting the pics on her Instagram. Without even realizing it, it was time for take.

I simply put my hands around Nadine's shoulder and drew her close to me while we waited for the sun to set. It was my first time to witness the Manila bay sunset. It was... beautiful, to say the least. It was a perfect Cleah moment, as OTWOListas would put it.

It was a perfect Jadine moment, as I would put it.

I sent to myself the pics Caryl took from Nadz' phone. We proceeded to shoot by the yacht club, which went on well until 2 am in the morning. The script called for a kissing scene.

It was a very romantic scene. We were in wedding attire as we were doing a photoshoot for a friend. I could tell Nadine was already sleepy so I tried to wake her up by making faces. I smiled every time she laughed.

I've kissed Nadine so many times that I'm used to it, but I felt this was different. At least for me it was. I knew she was leaving for Korea at 7am, and direk was already telling us to speed things up. "I don't want her to go," I found myself murmuring. I felt Nadine look at me, saw her questioning eyes out of the corner of my eye. I pretended not to notice. I kissed her like I'll miss her. Which I know I will.

After the scene, Nadine was rushing to get home, but Direk stopped her. The fans had a surprise celebration for her on the set.

I could tell she was surprised. And exhausted. And probably worried about her flight. But she put on a smile and sat on the chair they set out for her. Blew her candles. Opened her gifts. And thanked and hugged her fans one by one. Amazing.

They asked her for her birthday wish and I laughed when she said, "Hi Nadine, happy birthday! Wish ko sayo sana wag ka ng indecisive. More diet. More gym. And more tulog."

What is she indecisive about? I thought to myself. Then the fans turned to me. Asked for my wish. I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind. "I just hope she decides what she really wants and that she just goes out and gets it." I smiled at her and she smiled back. It was another Jadine moment, I could tell.

I shook out of my reverie and was back at The Palace Pool Club. Took a shot of Jaeger. And another. And another. As if getting drunk might take her and the fact that we're not together on her birthday off my mind. Is it working? Obviously not, if you're asking yourself that. I give up.

And for the 2nd time that night, I went out of The Palace Pool Club to give Nadine a call.