Battle Of Schemes

Smiling like what the Duchess said was stupid enough to listen. "Why would Lady Victoria be jealous when she is being taught by the Queen herself? You are talking nonsense. You are indeed the second most powerful woman in the empire, Duchess Castaña. But compared to Queen Aurina, your social standing differs like water and oil. Also, I have yet to present our last witness, Lady Elise Castaña!"

"Elise!"

"Lady Elise?"

The Duchess and Sabina's shocked voices buried all other gasps when the meek daughter of the Duchess entered the courtroom.

Aah, Lady Elise. I was right when I decided from the first time we met to use you. On this day, your life becomes meaningful, congratulations dear.

Tori's red eyes scanned the courtroom. Their judging eyes now shifted to the teary-eyed Duchess. Sadness, pain, anger, and betrayal all swirled in the Duchess' eyes as she gazed at her daughter who was now standing beside Prince Yei Lin.

Lady Elise's eyes never faltered as she looked at her mother.

"Lady Elise, is it true that the Black Jewel of the Sea was stolen?" The crown prince started interrogating the second witness.

With her eyes not leaving her mother's, Lady Elise spoke the new truth of this trial. "No. I saw her wearing that jewelry the afternoon of the incident. They were together with Lady Sabina that day before Lady Victoria arrived at the Rozenreff estate."

Marquess Zoliel interrupted the crown prince's questions. "If I may, Your Majesty?"

"Yes. Go ahead," King Elphaim replied.

"Lady Elise, what is the motive of your mother when she barely interacted with Lady Victoria?"

Elise glanced at her mother before looking at the Marquess. "Lady Victoria was the one who saved Lord Rowan Castaña from the slums. If it was not for her, it would not challenge her position."

Every eye shifted to the new lord, Rowan Castaña, who was sitting rigidly with the second prince and Crown Prince Allistair.

Crown Prince Yei Lin butted in. "Now tell me, what part of these shreds of evidence and witnesses' testimonies pointed at Lady Victoria as the culprit? Isn't she just a victim in this situation?" His eyes looked around before he stared at last at King Elphaim.

When will this end? I want to take a damn bath. Tori thought as she gave her best innocent look.

SILENCE ENGULFED THE courtroom as everyone awaited the king's decision. His eyes glazed over to Duke Rozenreff, who was busy gazing at his eldest daughter. King Elphaim then looked at Duke Castaña, whose shoulders slumped when the latter realized the gravity of the situation.

He knew from the very start that it would end in the favor of Lady Victoria, but King Elphaim did not expect that the accused would prepare this very detailed plan to shift the tides. The king knew that prosecuting the Duchess would weaken the Castaña Duchy. But if he prosecuted Lady Victoria, the ironclad countries Ming and Monakre would turn their back on their support for him and the Eckrett Empire.

Last, King Elphaim looked at his second son, who was whispering with Crown Prince Allistair. He did not know why, but his second son showing interest in Lady Victoria was something that he would like to see as a young attachment. He dared not named the emotions flickering in Prince Corean's eyes every time he looked at the accused lady.

"From the evidence and testimonies presented, I hereby declare Lady Victoria Rozenreff as innocent in this incident. For the accusations against Duchess Castaña, I hereby declare for a further investigation to be led by Crown Prince Yei Lin. In the meantime, Duchess Castaña will lose all her authority as the Duchess of Castaña Duchy. May this action be enough for Lady Sabina, and for Lady Victoria for being subjected to the humiliation and treatment, is there anything you wish for?"

Aah, those are the words that I longed to hear from King Elphaim. After all, this is the point why I poisoned that wench. Too bad though, it did not kill her. That could have made the punishment of the Duchess more severe compared to her actual judgment.

Taking off her black veil, Tori's golden ringlets flowed freely. Her red eyes, now cleared than ever, focused only on the King before she slyly glanced at her father and sister, then to the crying Duchess who was being seized by the royal knights. Her eyes turned to the two witnesses.

This plan only worked because I succeeded in securing my four pieces. Elisa's love is the last nail in the coffin. Her love for Prince Lauren was trampled to the ground by Sabina and her mother making her the star witness of this noble trial. Well, let's not forget the alleged knight who found the evidence against me. Actually, he is a knight who secretly loves Elisa. But seeing her insane because of her jealousy of Sabina made him agree to my offer. His anger wanted the head of Prince Lauren, which I will happily give him in exchange for his help. Me being caught and detained in the prison cell was my plan to push Rowan to the corner if he ever wanted to save me. Plus, requesting Duke Castaña as the one who would interrogate me made their fateful meeting more perfect than ever. With Rowan now the new heir of Castaña Duchy, it was enough for the high society to convince the motive of the Duchess to antagonize me. But Elisa's contribution is the biggest part. After all, she was the one who stole her mother's prized necklace. And what she wanted from me was to destroy Sabina, which I will do today.

Smiling sweetly, he answered the king, "According to the laws of the Empire, the title to be inherited can be won fair and square between heirs when each one of them will be supported by a faction. Thus, in the situation of princes and princesses, the factions do not really mind supporting heirs unless it is from the royal family. Now, my father, Duke Luwen Rozenreff, announced that the noble faction is currently supporting Lady Sabina. What I ask is to make you, Your Majesty, a royal call now. After all, I, Victoria Rozenreff, am being supported by the entire aristocratic faction."

Taking her signal, the Lords and Ladies of the aristocratic faction stood from their seats together with Prince Corean. As the leader of the aristocratic faction, the second prince walked to her side and faced the king, who went rigid in his seat. "I, the leader of the aristocratic faction, Prince Corean Shuia Rozenreff confirmed that Lady Victoria is already a member of my faction."

"I will not allow you to join them, Victoria!" Duke Rozenreff stood from his seat with his eyes filled with betrayal from her eldest daughter.

And what father? Let me die like what you did to your actual daughter one lifetime ago? Hell will freeze over before I will let you rule my life like what you did to your daughter.!

"Sister Victoria!" Sabina's worried face was free from any façade. She was truly worried about her current position since the Duchess was already gone.

Are you worried because the 'everything that you took from me' will be taken back? Now, your only way is to fight me. Then fight me, dear. Give me more reason to crush you to death.

"I should evaluate carefully a royal call, Lady Victoria. The power and connection from the two factions almost weighed the same." The King did not like the fact that Tori was changing the norms of the high society.

Wickedly smiling, Tori did not need to answer when the two crown princes together with Rowan stood by their side. For the first, Crown Prince Allistair Damon Monakre spoke at the center of Eckrett Empire's high society. "Your Majesty, who said about equal weights in power? On behalf of the Kingdom of Monakre with the blessing of my father, I support Lady Victoria with her endeavors."

"The Ming Country's emperor also expressed his desire to aid the lady who found my friend. On behalf of my father, I support Lady Victoria as the rightful heir to the Rozenreff Duchy."

They're right. Who says that I am alone? We may follow the same plot but I am changing the character's roles one by one.

The high society was in chaos, especially those who belonged to the noble faction.

"Support from foreign countries is invalid!"

"The heir of Rozenreff has been announced to the public already!"

"How can a daughter of Duke Rozenreff be supported by the opposing faction!"

Raising her hand, Tori silenced the chaotic noble faction. "Am I right to conclude that you're questioning the laws of the Empire, my lords? My ladies?" Her overly sweet smile was a complete contrast to her mocking red eyes as she looked at them one by one as if they were all beneath them.