"You won't tell him I left to see you will you?" The girl worried biting her bottom lip.

Severus rolled his eyes pulling his hand away from the girl as she went to hold his hand, "you don't suppose he'll figure it out when you give him the potion for Christmas?"

"Oh," the girl responded crossing her arms nervously, "I hadn't thought of that. You don't suppose you could come up with a reason as to why I was with you?" The girl begged.

"You made the decision to sneak out I will not be drug into it," the professor informed her in a hard tone. His face softened as he took in the girl's nervous expression, "I'm sure he won't be especially cross once he knows why, you were with an adult after all." He tried to reassure her. Severus knocked on the door to the Lupin's quarters waiting stoically for a response.

Moments passed before a disheveled and groggy Remus opened the door, "Severus? What brings you here at this hour?" He questioned in a puzzled tone.

Severus turned to find the girl hiding behind his cloak, "an escape artist," he growled moving his cloak aside to reveal the girl.

She stared up at her father looking guilty, "hallo," the child murmured glancing down at her toes.

Remus knelt down in shock, "thank you Severus, Caelen what do you think you're doing out alone at this hour? We've talked about this." Her father questioned sternly.

Caelen looked up at Severus fear and desperation lighting in her big brown eyes. She didn't know how to respond, she couldn't tell him what she was doing without giving away his Christmas gift, but she knew she'd never get away with giving him no explanation at all. "Well you see...I ummmm..." She began her voice quivering.

Snape sighed above her, "sleepwalking I suspect, you're lucky I happened upon her Lupin. Perhaps you should get her out more during the day less energy and such, good evening." He snapped before spinning on his heels and walking briskly away his robes billowing as usual.

Caelen watched him leave making a mental note to ask him to teach her to move like that before facing her father once more. She looked up at him giving him what she hoped was an innocent smile.

"Sleepwalking hmmm?" Remus questioned raising an eyebrow suspiciously. "Now why I wonder, when I've never known you to walk about in your sleep before, you might start now?"

Caelen bit her lip looking down once more guiltily, "I dunno?"

"Could it be," Remus began, "that you snuck out, for what I haven't the slightest, and somehow managed to convince the hardest professor in the school to cover for you?"

"It was really important..." Caelen muttered quietly.

Remus eyed the girl shocked and confused by her behavior, "So important you had to break your promise to not wander around alone?"

Tears filled her eyes, "please, it really was important." She began in a sniffling tone," I jut c-can't tell you right now. I didn't do anything bad and I was with professor Snape almost the whole time!"

"Caelen I told you why you can't wander around alone," Remus sighed sadly. It suddenly occurred to him that parenting was sometimes very difficult. Whatever the girl had snuck out to do she obviously felt was necessary, and she had been with an adult, albeit one her father didn't really get along with. But, he'd given her one rule not to go anywhere alone and she'd broken it. He bought some time to think as he led her back into their quarters and shut the door placing a locking charm on it in case the girl decided to sneak off again.

His heart broke when he turned to find his child shielding her face with her tiny hands, "ok I'm ready," she mumbled through her fingers.

Remus sighed kneeling before her and pulling her hands down, "ready for what cub?"