Chapter 1

Rose

I walked up the steps of the orphanage to my room. Mrs. Lars had sent me to my room again for 'disrupting' dinner. So, once again, I didn't get to eat.

"Worthless b****, go die in a hole!" I heard her say in my mind. I shuddered, trying to get rid of the thought. Instead of listening to it, I pulled out my laptop and got on YouTube. I wanted so badly to find a friend, somewhere, that I eventually found a place where I could.

I picked up my earbuds and put them in. I clicked on the only channel I subscribed to, NateWantsToBattle. I noticed he posted a video called help, and I decided to look. It looked like he had kidnapped someone right from the beginning, because eventually he was talking and was in frame.

I then realized it was a trailer for a new thing he was doing for Halloween. I giggled with excitement.

*three days later, exactly five days before Halloween*

I went onto YouTube, upset Nate hadn't posted anything yet. I clicked on his channel to see he had posted a reaction compilation of FNAF 4. I watched it, laughing. The edits were funny! I sighed happily, wanting to meet him.

*time skip to end of week, on Halloween*

I watched 'The Finale'. It was a combination of all of his FNAF songs put together, and I was pretty happy with it. I decided to go to message him, hoping he would see it. I sent him a message about how I was alone, and he was the only reason I laughed. Of course, my real name was not on there. I was known as Zed to anyone and everyone on the internet.

"ROSE DARKWOOD, GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE THIS INSTANT!!" Mrs. Lars shouted up at me. I sighed, and sent the message. I then closed everything and hid it under my mattress, the one place Mrs. Lars didn't look. I ran down the steps, not wanting to anger her more.

"Yes, Mrs. Lars?" I asked quietly.

"Go get the groceries! And make sure they're the right ones!" she ordered, shoving money into my hands. I grabbed a coat from beside the door and slid my feet into my boots. I walked out into the chilly air as night slowly descended. I realized I didn't have a flashlight or a phone, but Mrs. Lars would have killed me if I went back to get them. I just kept walking, heading towards the nearby Wal-Mart. A car slowed down beside me.

"Excuse me, do you need a ride?" the person in the car asked. I, knowing that it would be stupid to get in a car with a stranger, shook my head no. "You sure?" he asked again. I nodded. He started to speed up, but then he slowed to stay behind me.

"Hey, man! If she doesn't want a ride, then she doesn't want a ride!" a familiar voice called out from behind me. I turned to see Nate, THE Nate, running up to the car.

"Oh my gosh..." I barely breathed.

"Did you know that man?" he asked, turning towards me as the person drove off.

"No...he just started following me..." I answered.

"Well, I'll walk with you so no one else bothers you. Ok?" he smiled. I nodded. "Wait, don't you know it's not safe to be talking to strangers?"

"You're not a stranger to me..." I mumbled.

"I'm not?" he wondered.

"You're the only person that makes me laugh." We arrived at the Wal-Mart. I walked in, grabbed a cart, and then ran around, putting groceries into it. Nate, all the while, kept up with my fast pace.

I took the stuff to check it out, and then I started to pay for it, but Nate stopped me.

"I've got this." he stated, pulling out a credit card. He swiped it, and signed for it. "What's a 14 year old doing buying groceries by herself anyway?" he whispered to me.

"I'm...I'm an orphan. My parents left me on the doorstep of Mrs. Lars's Orphanage when I was a baby. She's hated me ever since, and makes me do everything for her." I replied as we walked outside. "Basically, she treats me like her own personal slave."

We walked in silence for a while, until I saw the orphanage.

"Thanks for walking with me, Nate." I whispered, stopping.

"Your welcome...what's your name?"

"It's Rose. Rose Darkwood. Oh, and if you see a message from a fan named Zed...that's a friend of mine. Please read it." I smiled. "I've got to go." I grabbed the groceries from Nate and ran inside, shutting the door behind me. Mrs. Lars glared down at me as I took my shoes off.

"You took too long. Be quicker next time!" she yelled, slapping me across the face. She sent me back up to my room, and I looked out of the window to see Nate looking at his phone and walking away. I pulled out my laptop, and checked the message I had sent him. He had replied.

'Do you want to tell me more about your life, or do you want to meet up somewhere?' he had asked. I smiled sadly.

"If only you knew, Nate. If only you knew." I whispered.