Chapter Two

I'm sitting on a ledge just out of sight from our hut. Inside the Woodland Realm we have small but comfortable elven tree huts. They usually consist of one of two bedrooms and small living area. These huts are round with beams arching up above forming a sort of roof, however there are large gaps between the beams so the stars are just visible.

I had an argument with Arnaia again and just as I reached into my quiver to retrieve an arrow (as a threat) I got shoved out and told to 'chill'. So that's what I'm doing. Chilling while munching on some Lembas filched from the kitchen.

Over the years this ledge has kind of become my place. I share a room with Arnaia so I can't really get any privacy unless I come out here. It's peaceful. Other elves rarely come here. No one else has ever come down here while I'm around at least. That is, until today...

My thoughts and the oblivious state I had let myself fall into ends when a horn blows, shortly followed by the soft patter of the Woodland Realm coming to life as the elves make their way to the Grand Hall. The horn is used to summon all the elves to meeting. It usually means King Thranduil has an announcement or something. I don't get up and move yet. There's no need to rush. I usually prefer to avoid the crowds.

I look up at the walkway above me. A group of beautiful elves dressed in extremely fine clothes. Most girls would be jealous. I don't really care. I'm not at all into that grand fancy-wear. And I know I'll never be beautiful like them; I'm quite plain and... well, average. I do have Auburn hair which is rather unusual for an elf. Most either have fair, white blonde hair or dark hair (like my mother and sister). I got my hair from my father, along with my emerald green eyes. Other than my few rarities, though, that's about all that makes me stand out from the crowd. I'm pretty much average in all other areas. Average height, average weight and so on. However, I'm perfectly happy with how I am. I do not envy any of the others, in their ornately embellished dresses. Still, I look down at my green cloth dress, covered by my brown leather bodice and matching lace-up shoes feeling all of a sudden small and slightly insignificant in comparison.

Once again my daze is interrupted. This time my thoughts come to a halt at the sound of a familiar voice, however one that has never spoken directly to me. With my peripheral vision, I can make out the blonde elvish prince's figure behind me. What's the king's son doing talking to me? I can feel my cheeks burning. Taking a deep breath I turn around, his question ringing in my ears. "Aren't you going to the meeting then?" He'd asked.

"Um... I was just about to." I get up and as I turn towards him, I suddenly feel even smaller than before.

Legolas has been my crush for years. It's the same for every other elvish maiden in the Realm. But why would I have any more of a chance than anyone else? 1) he's an adult and although I will be too next week, there is still quite an age gap between 50 and 2391. I know it shouldn't matter for immortals like us but it's still quite a bit of a problem. 2) he has hundreds of other elvish maidens after him, who are way more important than me. 3) I did once do a really offensive impression of his dad which Thranduil saw and that has definitely affected my reputation.

We are now standing face to face and no one has spoken for the last twelve seconds. I have gone as stiff as stale Lembas bread.

The elvish prince clears his throat and (thankfully) ends the awkward silence when he says, "you're Haisana right?"

"Yes. Most people call me Ana. "

"Hmm. I remember you. You're the one who impersonated my father that time."

"Yes," I replied and I stared down at my shoes, embarrassed. "I'm sorry I made your dad mad."

Legolas chuckled and replied,"it was actually really funny. He was so mad though. And... he's gonna be even more so when we show up late to the meeting."

"Oh. Yeah. We should go." I hadn't realised until now that we were the only ones left here and that the walkways were now completely deserted. The whole of the Woodland Realm apart from us had already gone to the meeting.

This was one of the rare occasions where we elves rush. We run to the Grand Hall.