Taking Fire

What happened in Iris City should feel like a victory, right?

We unplugged the Olympians, stopped Piper, and I didn't end up dead. (Particularly happy about that last one) But I just can't be happy knowing we couldn't save Levi.

    Finn flies us right to my front door. "Are you going to be ok, Mack?"

Am I? How could so much change so quickly?

"No but I'll figure it out. I always do. Thanks for everything Finn," I hug him and promise to tell him everything I learned in the morning. When I walk inside and my father is waiting in the kitchen.

He looks up at my entrance, relief flooding his face. "Mack?"

    I have so many feelings. I've been mad at my dad for so long for not telling me about Genesis Labs and then having me kidnapped. Then I find out I'm secretly a clone,  my mom isn't my mom, and he's not my real dad. More secrets and more lies. I should be beyond angry again.

Instead, I run to him and engulf him in a hug.

    "Mack. I thought I had lost you," he tells me, wrapping his arms around me. I feel terrible for putting him through these last two weeks.

"Never," I tell him. I don't like his methods and I hate his lying but everything my father's done has been to protect me. He's not even my real dad but my entire life he's taken care of me and tried to keep me away from the world of Genesis Labs. Sure he screwed up but he's my dad and I love him and I don't want to spend any more time being angry.

    I tell my father I know the truth about me being a clone and he gives me his side of the story. My father was recruited into Project Genesis by General Hudson with the hopes to create the ultimate super weapon. All their clones kept turning into black goo so my father tried something different with me. He was able to stabilize my genes but it also made me powerless. It was a breakthrough and they were able to use the technology to stabilize Supers like Finn and Levi later on but I no longer had any use. They wanted to kill me but my father stepped in. He took me in by secret and raised me as his own daughter. That's why he never wanted me to know about Project Genesis.

    He tried to distance himself after Genesis Labs exploded so he had no idea Piper was alive and still working on the clones and he has no idea where General Hudson might be keeping Levi.

    I give my father another hug before walking to my room. On the way, I glance at the news where its reporting the Olympians have been spotted back in Vertigo. I guess they consider this home too. Since Piper was able to stabilize them the Olympians are here for good.

    I collapse onto my bed and desperately want to fall asleep but there's still some things I have to take care of.

    First, I call Mike and let him know I'm ok. He's been worried sick these last two weeks and had been helping Finn search everywhere. Apparently me being the sidekick is all anyone can talk about at school. Now that my cover is blown things are going to get interesting.

    Next, I call Cammie. I apologize and she apologizes and I apologize again and the cycle continues until we're both laughing. I explain to her everything from the very beginning up to Piper revealing me being a clone.

    "Atlas actually helped me out," I tell her, true to my word, "He's not such a bad guy Cammie, especially now that he's not mind controlled."

    "But he kidnapped you Mack!" Cammie exclaims, "And even if he hadn't, I haven't seen the guy in weeks. Who knows if he'll even talk to me now that everything has blown over."

    "Just know that whatever happens I got your back."

    "And I have yours."

    "I know. Seeing the look on Atlas' face when you hit him with the pizza almost made getting captured worth it."

    Cammie laughs and we promise to talk tomorrow.

    Finally, I call Detective White. She's been pretty useful lately. I've reported to her after every encounter with the Olympians and she's helped do some detective work. She searched the tunnels after my fight in the sewers. I let her know about the base in Iris City and she says she'll send a team over to check it out and confiscate their equipment.

    When I'm finally done I try to close my eyes and go to sleep but I just can't. My mind is restless and all I can think about is Levi.

    "Mackenzie come in here now."

    I perk up and quickly rush into the living room where my father is watching the news. BREAKING NEWS is flashing across the screen

    On the screen is our mayor, Barbara Lance, with some older guy wearing a military uniform. The man has a buzz cut with salt and pepper hair and a stern look like he hasn't smiled in twenty years.

    "General Hudson," my father whispers to himself.

    The man is General Hudson. The General Hudson. The man who has Levi.

    "Attention citizens of Vertigo City," Mayor Lance says, "We have an important announcement." She nods and the General takes the mic. My blood starts to boil just looking at him.

    "In the recent months Vertigo City has had a problem with super humans," the General begins, "At first their motives were unknown but now it is clear that any Super is dangerous and a threat to national security. We are forced to take offensive action."

    My father and I exchange a look. What does offensive mean exactly?

    "To protect the rest of the country Vertigo needs to be quarantined," General Hudson continues, "From this point on the entire city is now on lockdown. No one gets in and no one gets out until this Super problem is fixed. We advise citizens to stay calm and be vigilant..."

    The General continues but I can't watch any longer. He can't do this. He doesn't have the right to lock down my entire city.

    My anger grows and grows as I stare at the television. In that moment I know what I have to do next:

    I will do whatever it takes to rescue Levi. I don't care the cost. I don't care who stands in my way. I don't care if I have to burn the all of Vertigo in the process.

    The General just made the first move and if he wants to take the offensive then so can I.

    Everything else was just a game.

    This is the war.

    And I plan to win.

{a/n} Book Two is officially done!! Thank you so much to everyone who's taken the time to read and comment and vote. Hope you liked it! In case you didn't know, there is going to be a book 3! It's going to be called "Villainous" and it'll be uploaded soon. Villainous will be the last book in the series and there'll be plenty more action and twists.

Also, I'm looking for a little feedback so I can improve my writing. If you're bored and want to answer the following questions so I can make book 3 even better it'd be greatly appreciated :)

1) What do you like about the Super series so far? Favorite part? Favorite characters? Favorite quote?

2) What could be improved on? Is there anything confusing or boring?

3) What plot twists surprised you? Anything you saw coming?

Thanks everyone and as always thanks for reading!