Three: The Aftermath of the Carcrash

Start from the beginning

But I have no choice but to be dead.

And there's nothing I can do about it.

Jack's POV

"His death was very instant so he didn't feel any pain."

We are all sat in a small room while Doctor Ross, Finn's "doctor", explains what happened to Finn.

"What do you mean instant? He's covered in blood. He looked like he swam in a pool of blood. He must've felt something," Emmy complains.

Doctor Ross shakes her head, "Considering that he's death was instant, he could have felt pain but not that much. Just a peck".

Emmy sighs while we all just stay quiet, not quite knowing what the right thing to say or do is.

Doctor Ross sighs,"I'm sorry," she apologizes. "I know it's a lot to process. I wish I could've done something to save him but we- I was too late."

Too late. "You're not the only one," I think. We were all too late. I should've woken up earlier. If I had woken up earlier, I could've went to Starbucks with Finn. I could've stopped the car accident from even happening.

I never thought Finn would be the first to die. Even though he's two minutes older than me, I always thought I'd be the first. Even though we spent almost our whole lives together, our time is just not enough.

"He was holding something very deadly when he was driving,"Doctor Ross tells us.

Deadly?! "No! That's not Finn. He's-he's not like that. He called me that morning and he was alright. He isn't suicidal," I tell her, my voice rising every word.

Emmy puts her hand on my hand, "Calm down, Jack. Calm down."

I turn to her and remain silent, waiting for Dr. Ross to explain.

She sighs,"Well, maybe that's it. He was holding his phone when the trucks crashed his car."

"So you're saying I'm the reason why he's dead?," I ask her, furiously.

"N-no it's-

"No! That's exactly what you're saying!," I yell. "You're blaming me for his death. Just say it out loud!"

"Jack," my mom warns. "We can't afford this right now."

"So you're just going to let her blame me for Finn's death?," I ask her harshly, immediately regretting it.

My father stands up, "Jackson,come with me."

He takes my arm and leads me outside. We walk the hallway and stop at an isolated corner.

"Look, Dad, I'm sorry, it's just-

He holds up his hand, cutting me off. "Save it."

We stay quiet for a while and then finally my dad speaks.

"Everyone has to cope, Jack," he tells me. "It's not just you."

"I know," I mutter. "He's my twin brother, Dad."

"Jack." He looks at me then, his eyes were weary and tired. "He's my son."

I bite my lip, "I know he's your son, it's just, Dad, I shared everything with him. Ever since I was born, hell, ever since I was still in mum's womb."

He remains silent, willing to listen to whatever I have to say. And I appreciate it.

I blink away tears that were threatening to spill. Man up, Jack. "It's scaring me because I have to be alone in this now. I was so used to having him by my side but now he's...