“Cass,” she turned to me, her eyes shining with something like awe, “you saw that didn’t you? I raised my hands and all of a sudden…” She looked at the five guys sprawled on the lawn.

I was about to speak when a loud banging started from the shed behind me. I jumped about a mile in the air before I realized that I’d managed to lock the little padlock when we’d escaped the hell shed. I grinned a little at my sister and she gave a nervous giggle.

The shed door started making groaning noises as the not so sturdy wood began to crack. Shit that guy was strong.

We ran for it.

We made it to the side of the house and started rounding it towards my little blue Sunfire when we saw a bunch of similarly dressed, bad guys leaning against it. We got out of view as fast as possible and crouched beside the house.

“Now what?” Sam asked, breathing hard.

“I don’t know. I examined our surroundings. The frat house’s property was bordered by a small forest that led to the college campus. There were trails throughout but it was dangerous at night. Some of the paths were rocky and steep. I glanced towards the street lights and civilization longingly. We really didn’t have a choice.

I pointed to the forest and Sam nodded hesitantly. She was afraid of the dark. Forests especially. I didn’t really enjoy forests at night either for that matter.

We moved into the forest quickly. I tried to clamp down on my fears but it was impossible once I heard movement somewhere off to the right. We moved as fast as we could down what seemed to be a small path. I was in front holding Sam’s hand when I felt her stop.

“I can’t go any further.” She bent over and held her side. “I have a cramp.” She burped. It smelled like beer. Oh yeah, she was probably still a little drunk.

“Are you kidding me? How long did you train for cheerleading? You should be in way better shape then me!” I hissed, trying to pull her along.

“Let’s just hide somewhere for a while, okay?” She looked up at me, pleading. Tears were streaming down her face.

I broke down. “Fine. Let’s go.” I pulled her off the trail and…

…ran straight into another attacker.

My heart leapt and I jumped back, bumping into Sam. We went down and Sam yelped as I landed on her.

“Sorry,” I mumbled, not taking my eyes off the guy I’d just run into.

He was tall too and was wearing all black just like the other guys had. His eyes were…glowing. They were a bright blue and they were glowing faintly. Almost like a cat’s eyes when lights shined into them but way stranger cause there was no light.

I picked myself off the ground slowly trying not to make any sudden movements.

“Please don’t kill us,” my sister said.

He looked bored as he surveyed us. “I’m not with the others,” he said. His voice was rich and deep. “I’m not here to kill you. I’m here to protect you and to remove you from harm.” His voice oozed trustworthiness and his features softened into a kind smile.  His eyes bored holes into mine and I could feel a slight pressure in my temple. Something urging me to take his hand and go with him.

Go, Cassie, my body whispered.

Hell no, my mind said.

I took a step back just as my sister took a step forward and grabbed his outstretched hand. I blinked.