Chapter One (Edited)

OLD STORY CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH EDITING. Please keep in mind that I wrote this story when I was 12 years old. The plot holes and mistakes are abundant, so please let me know if you see any. I am going to do my best to rewrite this and try to make is somewhat readable. 

Thank You, 
Taylor xx

The sun shined brightly in my eyes as I stretched my arms out. I yawned and lazily threw the covers over my head.  

"Lady Ashlyn, you must get up if you are going to make it to the royal breakfast in time." My handmaid, Melodey, spoke as she laid out a dress for me to wear.

"Okay, if I must." I said with a groan and dragged myself out of bed. 

I stood up and my long blonde hair cascaded down my back. It was more unruly than normal today, I noticed, as I ran my hand through the ends. 

"Only two months left until you go back home" She sighed. 

I was currently vacationing in the Kingdom of Althea. My aunt, a wealthy dressmaker, wanted me to experience the world, and possibly find a husband. Although, I detested the thought of being married to some stuffy lord, I knew my Aunt had my best intentions at heart. She sent me packing every summer, each time to a different kingdom. 

I have only spent two weeks here but I am very much enjoying myself.  When I peer out the castle window, I could see fields and orchids for miles. The sun shone brilliantly over the land. 

Back home, the Kingdom of Italia, I lived in the city, so the countryside was a welcomed change. 

" I know.  Im going to miss it here.  Maybe I could convince my aunt to let me come back again?" I smiled

"Maybe, come come.  Lets get you dressed for breakfast.  You only have a few minutes." She spoke hurried.

"Alright!" I huffed and went to my closet to pull out one of my day dresses. It was a light blue empire dress that laced in the back.

"Could you lace me up please?" I asked 

"Of course.  It is my job you know.  You don't have to ask"  she smiled.

"I know but it is still polite to do so. I wasn't raised without manners."  I laughed

"Alright, lets get you down to the dinning room." she ushered me out of the door. 

The palace was grand. Its architecture was breathtaking, with its high ceilings and decorative paintings that graced the walls.  It was a dream to stay here.  I had never before stayed in a palace.  It had so many rooms, I was always afraid of getting lost!

"Here we are, Lady Ashlyn." she opened the door for me.

"Thank you Melodey" I dismissed her kindly and turned my attention to the crowd already seated at the table

"Good morning, Lady Ashlyn!" The King boomed.  The King was a loud and portly man. Always beaming with a smile, but never afraid to strike those against him. The people of his land loved him.

"Good morning, your highness." I smiled. 

"Good morning, Lady Ashlyn" The Queen spoke in a quiet voice.  She was very beautiful,  she had long straight black hair and stunning green eyes. She was a quiet presence compared to her loud, boastful husband

"Good morning, your majesty" I bowed to the both of them and took an empty seat the table.

Along with the king and queen, their two daughters were sat across from me, Princess Iris and Princess Merina. Iris has brown hair and her mothers stunning green eyes.  Merina had a gentle, youthful look to her, with her short curly blonde hair tied with a bow and her big brown eyes.

"Good Morning Princesses" I smiled

"You look beautiful today, Miss. Ashlyn!" Merina smiled. The Princesses were both younger than me. I was sixteen while Merina was twelve and Iris was fourteen. 

"Thank You, but not as pretty as you." I beamed at the young girls before me. 

I think that they enjoyed having someone similar to their own age at court. There were never a lot of children here, only lords and ladies doing business with the king. 

I took in the sight of food before me.  There was baked ham, pancakes, french toast.  Everything! I loved staying at the palace.  Just as I reached to grab some french toast the french double doors swung open. 

In came a handsome young man who seemed to be around my age. He had brown hair that swept across his forehead and dark blue eyes that held a certain playfulness. He was dressed in casual clothing, but a sword hung on his hip.

"Good morning, Your Majesties, Princesses. I apologize for my tardiness." He bowed his head in the direction of the Royals and took the empty seat in front of me.

"Sir Niles, I'm delighted you could join us." Merina giggled from beside me, a blush creeping up her cheeks.

"And I don't believe we've had the pleasure of being introduced..." Niles directed his blue eyes at me, intensely gazing at me from across the table.

"My name is Ashlyn Price." I spoke confidently in the face of his gaze. 

"Well Lady Price, It is lovely to be acquainted with you." He gave me a playful wink and then turned his attention to the food laid out on the table.

For the rest of breakfast I watched Niles make conversation with the King and entertain the Princesses. His presence seemed to be welcomed at the table, but I was unsure what his business was at court. He wasn't introduced as a lord, but yet he was dining with the King! I was determined to find out what this mysterious boy was doing here.

After all he was quite the personality...

When I was finished with my food I thought about what I would do for the day. I wanted to go riding sometime this week, but maybe i'll just head into the market? 

"Excuse me everyone, thank you for the lovely meal." I excused myself and stood up from the table.

I headed out of the dining hall and into the corridor. The day was full of possibilities.