He looked behind Lawrence at all the other survivors. He saw Zach getting fired up argument with another guy around the same age. He saw Ashlynn, who had been talking with Ally, look at him, a shadow of surprise crossing her face. The other survivors noticed his dilemma, watching in horror as the arms of the undead enveloped Andrew.

The stench was horrible, the feeling of their cold hands sending shudders down his back. But, he knew that if they opened those damn doors, they'd all be as good as gone. He knew his life wasn't worth all of theirs, and only prayed that Lawrence would survive. He closed his eyes, accepting his fate to the dead.

Lawrence watched from the other side of the glass doors, sinking to the floor. He stared at the leftovers of his best friend, his lips trembling as he barely mustered the ability to say, "He's... gone."

It took one moment for his best friend to be gone, one moment more and he could've made it in. One moment ago that Lawrence could've done something, instead of staring in shock.

"Goddammit!" Lawrence yelled, interrupting all conversation in the room, "Would you two just fucking shut up?"

Zach and Lee were frozen in place, staring at him in confusion. The only sound in the room was the quiet thrumming of the ceiling fan.

"He didn't have to die... He was my only friend. He was the only one who understood!" He said, his voice now quieter. Ashlynn moved to comfort him, but all she got in response was anger.

"You! It was your fault! If he didn't have that dumb crush on you he would still be alive!" He snarled at her. "I wish you were dead instead of Andrew! He deserved more than that!" With that, Lawrence promptly stormed off.

Haley moved up to comfort Ashlynn. "He's right... It's all my fault." She covered her face in her sleeves as Zach spoke.

"We have two options here. We need to get food, but we still need weapons to protect ourselves against them. Lee here thinks that we should take the heaviest weapons, which at this point includes a bazooka."

"Are you insane? We'll be more likely to blow ourselves up instead of those monsters." A girl spoke.

"Who are you?" Lee narrowed his eyes. She sighed flippantly.

"Kenzie Washington, junior. Either you're an idiot or you're insane. Do you really think we'll be able to handle a bazooka? Almost all of us don't know how to even fire a regular handgun!" Lee stepped closer to her, a threatening look on his face. Zach noticed this and stepped in.

"The guns are in the ammunition storage downstairs, might as well go and distribute them now." The group made their way downstairs to the police evidence and arms storage. Looking each survivor up and down, he handed a weapon to each one.

"There's food in the fridge upstairs." Elliot quipped. "Should be enough for a day or two." They divided off the food as well as some water. The air buzzed with conversation, while Lawrence came back to eat.

"It's late out... Get some rest guys." Zach spoke with finality.

"I guess I'll keep guard then." Lawrence said, as no one else volunteered, "I won't be able to sleep all night anyway."

"Lawrence... You don't have to. I'll take first shift." Ashlynn offered gently.

"Shut up." He snapped, "I don't need your pity."

He stood up from the circle, stopping in front of the entrance where the corpses were banging at the door. Kirk, a freshman who was very talented with technology, even skipping eighth grade, had locked the door to prevent the zombie from coming in, but there were cracks in the glass from the pounding. He didn't see Andrew in the crowd of undead, and half of him wanted to believe that maybe Andrew could be alive.

He only heard small fragments of the conversation behind him, which sounded something like them deciding to rest and not to worry about Lawrence.

He only rolled his eyes, thinking that if she weren't so popular that no one would care, and leaned against the front desk, that was across from the entrance. He was half tempted to close his eyes and sleep to forget what had happened, but that was risking other people's lives.

A sophomore boy came up to him with a pistol in hand, and offered it to him, "Incase they make it in. You know how to fire one?"

"Of course I do!" He grumbled, snatching it from his hands and shoving it in his pocket.

"Hey, no need to be so rude. I understand your best friend died, but I can be certain that if you refuse to cooperate, you will follow him soon." He said, "Sorry to put it like this, but suck it up."

"Yo, Eden!" Another guy called him, who Lawrence recognized as Fletcher. Come to think of it, Eden and Fletcher had calculus with Miss. Irene, and Lawrence had heard she was a pretty nice teacher. It must be hard on them too, he realized slowly, watching Eden approach Fletcher.

A few long hours passed by, and late evening turned into midnight. Lawrence had to force himself to stay awake, though he had to admit, he probably slept for half an hour in between by accident.

He rubbed his eyes, feeling more awake and alert than before. He walked up towards the door, shocked to find that the cracks in the door were very large and looked like the door was going to break soon. Lawrence wanted to call for help, but his voice seemed stuck in his throat. He stood there, watching as the door was broken. He stood there helpless, for the second time that day.

He suddenly felt a rush of adrenaline, and fumbled the pistol out of his pocket, his hands shaking as he rested his finger on the trigger.

How many bullets did this thing even have?

He cocked the gun, pointing it at the first zombie that made it through. He slowly stepped back, the gun still aimed at the walking corpse. Maybe he should've asked Eden to show him how to fire the gun. He cursed himself for being arrogant, but he still couldn't make his voice work to even exclaim in surprise.

He closed his eyes and pulled the trigger. A loud crash sounded, and he slowly opened his eyes. He only took down one of them, and manage to shatter a window as well. As if the gunshot attracted more of the zombies, he found himself surrounded by them.

"Lawrence! What happened?" A wobbly voice asked.

He wanted to answer, but he couldn't make himself say anything. He took in a breath of air, forcing himself to calm down, but his hands wouldn't stop shaking, and he couldn't clear his mind. Is this really how he was going to die? A nervous wreck, unable to warn the people who had only tried to help him of danger, and unable to forgive Ashlynn for something that she didn't even do?

He choked out one word before letting the zombies devour him.

"Run!"

Thanks for reading, please comment and vote if you enjoyed :3