I Tried So Hard- Chapter 1

It’s the end of August and professors are getting ready to go back to work, students are getting ready to come back to the college, and newcomers also known as freshman are about to begin their journey at college. I’m a newcomer, a freshman named Kellin. This is my first time away from home, far away from home. I mean San Diego is way different from Michigan. They have beaches here and Disneyland and a lot more people. We don’t have any of that in Michigan. See I’m from a small town in Michigan where everyone knows everyone. We don’t have beaches and we damn sure don’t have Disneyland. But that’s what made me choose California, it was different and I needed a change of scenery. So as I was standing outside the college taking in the new scenery of what would now be my new home I felt someone bump into me.

“Oh sorry! I didn’t see you.. I was trying to figure out where..” and before the red headed boy could finish his sentence.

“It’s okay! I kind of had my head in the clouds.” I said with a chuckle. The ginger boy gave a little smile of relief.  “So what are you looking for?”

“I..uhm..don’t even know to be honest. I’m trying to find my dorm but there’s like 3 buildings of dorms and I’m just..”

“Confused” I cut him off. The ginger boy smiled and nodded. “Alright let’s take a look and see what your paper says” I said. He got closer to the red headed boy and looked at his paper.

“It says I’m in Hazel Hall on floor three” the boy said.

“Yeah I’m in that hall and on that floor too. Uhm.. it says you’re in room 398… Holy shit! That’s my room!” I said excitedly even though I didn’t know why I was so happy to find that information out.

“Looks like we’re roommates!” The boy laughed and said. “I’m Matty” he stuck his hand out waiting for the other boy to shake his hand.

“I’m Kellin” I said sticking my hand out and shaking Matty’s hand.

               After Matty and I found our room we helped each other bring in our boxes. The room was about medium size. Big for one person but kind of small for two people, luckily neither of us brought a whole bunch of useless crap. Just as I sat down on my bed there was a knock at the door Matty went and opened the door, there was a guy standing there telling us that we needed to get downstairs for the dorm room meeting.

“Do you know what a dorm room meeting is?” Matty asked.

“No idea.” I said.

         As we got downstairs there were a whole bunch of other students downstairs talking amongst each other. Matty and I stood there quiet still trying to figure out what was going on. All of sudden we heard a voice come from the stairs. A guy was standing there on the bottom step he had brown hair that stopped right above his shoulder and brown eyes. He was tan and skinny but had a little bit of muscle to him. Everyone turned around and faced him. After he got everyone’s attention he proceeded to speak.

“Hey my names Vic and I’ll be your dorm advisor for the year. Basically this dorm meeting is for everyone to meet and get to know each other. So what we’re going to do is just split up and everyone is going to talk for about a minute or two and then we’ll switch to a new person. Kind of like speed dating but without the dating.”

So we all got in position to start this whole meeting process I was one of the people who after the timer went off had to move to the next person. It went pretty smoothly, you’d ask each other the others name and where you’re from and what you want to major in. It was a repeat of the same questions at every transition to a new person. That is until we had made our way around and only had one more transition left, but there wasn’t anyone for me to talk to. So as the bell went off to start the new conversations I was just looking around lost until I got a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find the tanned, brown eyed boy standing in front of me.

“Hey, seems like we don’t have enough people.” He laughed. “I’ll be your partner for this round.. So what’s your name?”

“Kellin” I said.

“Well I’m Vic if you didn’t get that earlier. So you’re a freshman?”

“Yeah. What are you?” I said

“A junior.” He smiled. He had a really nice smile. “So where are you from?”

“I’m from Michigan.” I said getting a little more comfortable talking to the brown eyed boy.

“Far from home” he said. “Let me guess you’re here for Disneyland? Everyone comes here wanting to go to Disneyland” He said with a laugh. And I couldn’t help but laugh either.

“No.” I said. “Just wanted a change of scenery but I wouldn’t mind going to Disneyland.” I said with a smile on my face. He started to laugh. And I actually caught myself blushing for a second.

“So what do you want to major in?” he asked me.

“Well I want to major in photography. What are you majoring in?” I asked.

“To be honest I don’t know. I keep changing my major, right now its Computer Science. We’ll see how long that lasts.” He said with a little laugh at the end. “So photography.. You’re a photographer? Maybe you could show me some of you work?” He said looking me in the eyes with a smile on his face. I could feel myself about to start blushing and right when I went to open my mouth the timer went off. I just looked at him and nodded. I felt someone nudge me and turned to find Matty standing there.

“You want to go back upstairs and finish unpacking then go get something to eat?” Matty asked.

“Uh yeah.” I said and turned back to Vic.

“I’ll see you around” I said to him.

“Yeah, you have to show me some pictures” the tan boy said with a smile. I smiled back and waved bye then turned around and headed upstairs with Matty.