Alternate Ending: The Haunted Sweetie Maze

Hey guys!

In celebration of Halloween, I've worked with sourpatchkids to create an awesome short story! In the first chapter, a group of Kids' night out on Halloween goes terribly wrong! One of the Sour Patch Kids has gone missing!

Check out the SourPatchKids profile for the full story, and be sure to vote at the end of every chapter to help solve the mystery!

Please read on to see a special alternate ending I've created!

_______

The Kids wanted the young man's help.

"Well let's see," the young man began. "I just took Lucky for a walk to visit my girlfriend. She works at that Haunted Sweetie Maze right down the block. You know, the one our town has every year...?"

The Kids grew excited and explained that they knew exactly what the man was talking about. The Haunted Sweetie Maze. The Haunted Sweetie Maze was the same place that Red was begging the Kids to go to all week! It seemed like a distinct possibility that Red may have taken off and gone there while the kids were trick-or-treating.

"Shoot, I totally saw this in a movie once," Kenny said to Amymarie. "Group of buddies walking in the dark. One of them wanders off to use the bathroom. It didn't end well, you know..."

The Kids started to freak out – what if something bad had happened?

"I'm sure Red is absolutely fine!" Amymarie assured the Kids, shooting Kenny a look. "Red probably really wanted to check out the maze, even if you weren't interested in going this year."

"I saw your friend was walking behind a group of kids when I left," the young man continued. He jabbed a finger behind him. "The maze is just down the block. You go straight past the pancake house, past that old willow tree, and stop when you see the giant fountain. The park is right past the big fountain, and through the big iron gates! Red was definitely heading towards there. Asked me for directions to the park and everything. I don't like to see anyone alone on Halloween, but Red had a smartphone, so I figured Red might have been meeting someone else there."

The Kids, Kenny, and Amymarie thanked the young man. They knew the maze inside and out, so they wouldn't need too much help. The Kids gestured to the young man's phone, and asked about his girlfriend, wondering if she could make an announcement over the maze to let Red know they were on their way.

"Of course," the man started to dial. "Will do!"

"Would you like some help from us?" Kenny asked, motioning between him and Amymarie.

The Kids didn't want to ruin their Halloween and politely declined.

"Are you sure?" Kenny asked.

The Kids nodded.

Amymarie smiled. "You Kids are too sweet. Well, good luck on your detective work! I know you'll find Red!"

"Good luck!" the young man shouted after the Kids.

"And Happy Halloween!" Kenny added.

The Kids waved goodbye and headed towards the maze. As they walked together down the sidewalk, the Kids were happy and they were fairly certain Red would be at the Haunted Sweetie Maze. The Kids hooked arms together, remaining optimistic they would find Red soon. They looked pretty cool walking together as a squad: Blue was a football playing tooth fairy, Orange was a taco, Green was a black belt in Karate, and Yellow was a fierce pirate – hook and all.