1. Closet Queens

The only thing I hate, more than Seth Lawson, is when you can’t prank because you don’t know which room to prank, and you can’t risk getting into trouble again, by pranking some random room and hoping for the best.

It seemed very ironic, on this particularly cold autumn night, how Seth could find his way to our dorm room blindfolded, but after three years, we still had no idea which dorm room he’d been living in.

Seth had pranked us first, so we had to plan revenge before he struck again. Except we didn’t know what to prank, because we had normally ambushed the boys, and that prank had become a little old, since we’d repeated it four times in a row.

“Kat!” Anna snapped loudly, glaring at me. “Shut up for a second!”

Instead of listening to her, like a good best friend, I began to sing a little louder, and more obnoxiously. “I knew you were trouble, when you walked in!”

Anna groaned even louder, and put her hands on head in despair. It sounded a little unfair to be annoying my friends when they were trying to keep watch of the boys’ dormitories, but I was equally bored myself.

For half-an-hour, we’d been lying on the uncomfortable ground, observing the cream building, and waiting until the coast was clear, so we could come inside. Technically, nobody was allowed to go into the dorm rooms, unless you actually lived in that dorm, but countless people had ignored that rule.

“Ow!” Leigh winced, rubbing her leg. “I hate this grass!”

The school gardener was an old, pesky man who hated it when people sat near his plants. He mowed the grass in such a way, that it always stayed prickly and dry, and nobody would dare to sit on it. Each blade of grass was like a needle sticking into your bare leg, and after a while, it did become very painful.

“I know what you mean,” Jules agreed with a sympathetic smile. “I can’t even feel my leg anymore, because the effect is numbing.”

Glancing down at my leg, I realised it had gone very red, and had little grass marks on it. Ignoring the little stabs in my leg, I focused on trying to lighten up the mood, by singing some more, even though it was irritating Anna.

“Oh! Oh! Trouble. Trouble. Trouble. Oh! Oh! Trouble. Trouble. Trouble!” I could see that Anna was trying to block out my voice, but it was near impossible. The bush we were hiding behind wasn’t that big, and only just managed to fit four teenage girls behind it.

“No apologizes, he’ll never see you cry, pretends he doesn’t know, that he’s the reason why-” I sung much more obnoxiously, and watched as Anna pulled a face and attempted to ignore me, by covering her ears. “-Pretends he doesn’t know, that he’s the reason why, you’re drowning, you’re drowning, you’re drowning.”

“If you’re not careful, you’ll be the one drowning.” Anna muttered under her breath.

“What?” I asked sweetly, even though I clearly heard her. “What did you say? I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear you.”

For some reason, this seemed to be my only form of entertainment, since nothing else interesting was happening. Normally I would just sing quietly, under my breath, but when I found out Anna disliked Pop music, I decided to see how long I could sing for before she went crazy.

I’d been singing random songs that came to my head, for about ten minutes. It was obvious Anna was fed up, but I pretended I hadn’t noticed, and continued to sing.

“I heard you moved on, from whispers on the street. A new notch in your belt is all I’ll ever be. And now I see, now I see, now I see.” Anna let out an exasperated sigh, sick of hearing my voice.