Luke appraised Lexi with a slightly cocked head, and she felt compelled to add to her commentary. "Most people view Hades's actions as selfish and ruthless, but I think the story is romantic. It expresses passion that is taken to the extreme. One version says Persephone's father, Zeus, allowed the kidnapping. Apparently, he got tired of all the suitors vying for Persephone's affections, and he let Hades carry her off."

Luke slapped the book with his palm as he filled the room with throaty laughter. "Zeus? Allow Hades to take his daughter? If you've read anything about Zeus, you would know that version of the story is horseshit. Persephone was in love with Hades. He did her a favor by removing her from the stranglehold of her parents."

Luke's cheeks grew flushed as he spoke, and Lexi didn't know what to think of his impassioned response. It was something she questioned about her mom's preoccupation with the gods. How far was too far before people thought you were nuts? When Luke noticed Lexi staring, he offered his cure-all smile.

"You think I'm crazy, don't you? I can see it in your eyes."

"I don't think you're crazy. My mom is one of the smartest women I know and she wanted the family to practice Hellenism for a while. She named me Alexandra, which is an epithet of the goddess Hera. And my brother is named after Dionysus."

"It sounds like your mother isn't afraid to imagine. She believes there are more truths than what her peers tell her. Maybe the term myth was invented to hide the truth that the gods really do exist."

Attracted to that mysterious gleam in his eyes, Lexi stared at Luke as she considered the prospect of gods living in the modern world. Surely, someone would have noticed Heracles walking among them, or Zeus with that beard. Everyone knew where lightning came from and how the seasons changed. That was science, not mythology.

Her dad chose that moment to burst into the room, and Lexi quickly took stock of her proximity to Luke. "How are you doing, baby girl?" he asked as he strode over CEO-style and plopped his hand on her forehead. "I'm glad we thought to get that fire started. Your head feels nice and toasty."

Lexi didn't think it was the fire keeping her toasty, but she kept that information to herself. "I may live to see my birthday yet."

"Good to hear. So, you'll be able to spend time with the other guests soon, I hope? Rod and his family say they'll be cutting their visit short too. I would hate to think it's because a certain birthday girl keeps snubbing the young man's interests."

"Rod's only interest is with property values in Eagle Hill."

He frowned. "C'mon, now. I'm sure that's not true. I know he swims. He was even challenged to swim the English Channel."

"Dad, do we have to talk about this now?"

Luke stood and walked the book back to the shelf, escaping the awkward moment like a reasonable person, and Lexi prayed her dad would just leave it.

"I think you've been spending too much time with one guest," he went on. Totally not leaving it. "There are plenty of people here who would like to share your company. Burt says you haven't spoken five words to him."

"Burt pops over whenever you add wine to your collection. This weekend is supposed to be about me having fun, not about me making sure other people have fun."

In a not-so-covert maneuver, her dad leaned into her ear, "I don't want to see you disappointed, baby. Luke may be handsome and well spoken, but he's not the type to stick around for the ending credits, if you get my meaning."

Seriously? When had her dad become a hypocrite? "Hold on a second. Just yesterday you said to throw in my line to see what I reel in. Well, I did that, and I'm happy with my catch."

Her dad hovered like an eagle on its perch, a sign he was considering her argument. Of course, half of their arguments ended in some helpless creature getting eaten for lunch. "Your godfather doesn't trust Luke to have your best interests, and I trust your godfather's counsel."

Lexi didn't roll her eyes but she really wanted to. "Uncle Z doesn't trust anyone when it comes to me, and neither do you. Even Mom and Dion can't stay out of my business. If I left you all in charge, I'd be a virgin the rest of my life!"

Lexi clapped a hand over her mouth, but it was too late. She had reached her breaking point, which meant it was downhill from there. Ignoring the pain in her injured arm, Lexi threw off the blanket and stood to face her dad across the couch. 

"As much as you hate to admit it, I am not your baby anymore. I am a responsible adult who can make her own damn decisions, and the fact that I'm about to storm to my room and slam my door doesn't prove I'm wrong."

Lexi turned on her heels and marched off, catching the shrug Luke offered her dad. Regardless of whether her outburst ended up chasing Luke away, Lexi knew it was game-on. She was taking a stand on a matter that was long overdue. This would be her Gettysburg.

 This would be her Gettysburg